Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emmett Revisited........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, so I listened to the votes(and two little devils on my shoulders...you two know who you are) and pulled my 82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" out of retirement saturday....

For those of you who dont know the vehicle i am talking about or have forgotten, heres a little refresher....

I bought this 82 Jimmy in 1993. Emmett started out life as a 1982 GMC JImmy Sierra. A stripped down model with a Diesel and an auto. The paint was I believe Woodland green with yellow stripes on the sides(about 5 stripes that were grouped about 4" wide). The interior was a mix of light tan seats and trim with a dark brown dash cover.

So I was out looking for a p/u or K5 to wheel and use for mountains trips. Came across this green 82 Jimmy in the auto trader and it caught my eye... My father and I went down to look at it in Sunbury, PA which is aroudn Butler. Drove it and immediately knew I wanted it. At the time it was in excellent shape. No rust, no dings, nice paint, fresh 355/th350/208(originally was a diesel) and was sitting on stock suspension and 31" Sport Kings. So I came up with the $$ to buy it and drove down the following week to pick it up. The night I brought it home was the night the mayhem began. Within 3 hours of driving it home, I was out at a local trail and had it stuck with water in the cab. From that point on, that Jimmy and I did alot of wheeling and had taken on the name "Emmett"(thanks to an ex-g/f)..

Over the years, Emmett took on different levels of builds, many changes and lots of wheelin. The first lift was a set of 4" HD Superlift front springs and rear blocks. Took some time to gather all the parts. First set of tires I got for it were a set of 35x12.50x15 Kelly DTRs on 15x10 chrome wagon wheels. Emmett stayed this way for sometime.. We used to wheel 3-5 times a week. BAck then it was mostly mud and trail rides.

After about 4 years and different changes, I was in college and wasn't wheeling much. Decided to sell Emmett since it was just sitting. Sold him to a guy not far from me..... Didn't own him for about 2 years.... Used to see him on the road from time to time and then no one had seen him for a long time. After those two years I started my hunt for a new wheeling vehicle. Found an 84 Jeep Cherokee in Latrobe, PA that was cheap. Picked it up and brought it home. Funny thing was it was the same color green as Emmett... It sat in ours garage for about a month and something just didnt feel right. So I tracked down the guy who bought Emmett and gave him a call. Turns out he was just getting ready to strip him down to throw a quick coat of paint on him and resell him.... I told him not to do anything else and I would be over to take a look... Bought Emmett back after that trip and sold the Cherokee to a friend..

Got Emmett back home and started the build all over again since he was stripped of all the goodies and sat on stock suspension again. The PO stuck in a 305 also and for some reason, a different hood. Another change was that the stock rear gov-locked 10 bolt was gone and an open 12 bolt sat in its place. This build I went with a pair of 6" Superlift Superride front springs and a custom rear pack over smaller blocks. Tires were a set of 35x15.50x15 TSL's on Eaton 15x10 chrome HD wheels. Ran this set up until I parked Emmett once again since the back floor was getting pretty bad and I bought my bros 86 K5 that was built similar and locked...

So after sitting in my garden(or where a garden used to be) for the last 2 years, I've finally pulled Emmett back out for a rebuild....

Below are some pics of his present state... Pretty bad, but just needs some TLC and a lot of elbow grease....

Pics of pulling him out:

2. Emmettology 101

Present condition:

3. Emmettology 101

I've got alot of work ahead of me! :doah:

My plans:

Either my TBI 383 or a TBI 350
    700r4
    D60/14ff
    52" fronts and 63" rears
    new floors
    Cage

Not sure how I'll do the body yet. Have thoguht about narrowing the rear and front. But I like the full body look.... The floors will be flat sheet metal with c-channel under supports in the rear.

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

This is Jim the guy you sold the t case to in pa and delivered i have a tub off of my green k5 its an 84. If you want it and any of the other misc. parts i can find and gather up you are more then welcome to it i was going to send it to the junk man so if you want it get a trailer and come and get it the tub is in alot better shape then the one you have it may give you a better starting point.

Let me know, Jim :D

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when you said the floor was gettin bad i didnt think the whole a** end was gone. :eek1: :eek1:

6. Emmettology 101

gotmud77 - Jim, thanks for the offer. Something like that has crossed my mind. But I'll probably just fix this one. Funny thing is that the inner and outer quarters are fine. No rust what so ever... Just the floor pieces are gone. Main reasoning for that is the PO put the new floor in over the rusty old one... :rolleyes:

down4thakrown - Ya, the floor is bad. But fixable. :thumb: :haha:

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At least when it's all gone it saves you time cutting bad stuff out...:crazy: :haha:

Not much actually holding the bedsides up now is there?

Rene

8. Emmettology 101

The only thing thats holding up the sides is the top and maybe the front section of the rear floor. You can sort of see from the pics that the quarters have sagged down past the frame a few inches on each side. I'll probably jack up the sides and slide a 2x4 across the frame and under the wheel wells for temp support.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude their comes a time when you have to shoot an old dog, might want to reconsider replacing the tub. ;) . But I do feel for you have this Nova that I have had for thirteen years she needs new fenders, quarters and rockers and hood and interior and most of the floor, but I have sold her once and bought her back and towed her from AZ to Utah. Payed more for her when I bought her back and she needed more work. So I'm a very sentemental person and support you 100% if you are going to fix him back up. Just thought that I would add a reality check if you haven't had one :D

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Truggy!!!
    Oh...and i hate to say this but...you really over did the fender trimming last time...you could fit way bigger rubber under there!! :D (just kidding!)

Good luck! You've got a heck of a lot of work ahead....and don't we just love it!

11. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

thats cool just wanted to put the offer out there before it gos to the junk man.

Good Luck with the restore job,

12. tRustyK5

You planning on a replacement tailpan or a fabbed tailpan made from box tubing?

Rene

13. Emmettology 101

Fabbed tailpan out of boxed tube or C-channel.... And maybe C-channel welded to the new floor for body mounts.... The body mounts depend on how I'll do the cage.

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm wondering that myself...

I would think some sheet metal and some angle would do the trick. :D

15. tRustyK5

Well, for reference the tailpan at the body mount is 2 1/4" from the underside of the floor to the top of the body mount. If I were fabbing one up I'd use 3" x 3" box tube and cope the mount area to suit...

The hard part may be making the tailgate hinge slots and mounts in the fabbed tailpan. That is if you're planning on running a K5 gate. A pick-up gate would simplify things a lot...except for a rear window.

The rest is pretty easy IMO, just labor intensive.

Rene

16. Emmettology 101

Thank you for the measurements. I will either run no tailgate at all or maybe a truck gate. It probably wont ever see a topper again.... I'm even debating about for-going the entire roof section and just running a plexiglass/lexan windshield bolted to the cage similar to Stephens new set-up. My winshield is toast and the roof area where it mounts is pretty messed up. And since I may not license it, the windshield doesn't matter.

**EDIT** Since I wont be running a gate. Maybe I'll just get a piece of 2"x2" and weld two 1/4" plates where the tube meets the frame.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  17. tRustyK5

I'd say 2x3 would be better, the mount is more than 2" across...
    I'd run a truck tailgate then, it'll help keep the box sides straight when wheeling. Either that or tie the inside of the boxsides to the cage to keep them upright.

Rene

18. Emmettology 101

I have a chunk of 2"x3" in the garage that is definately long enough. Maybe I'll get that tacked in tonight after I do some vacuuming. :D That'll get the quarters up to where they need to be.

19. Emmettology 101

Instead of messing with the rear floor last night I pulled the front clip. The deeper i get into this thing the more rust I find.... Starting to wonder if it will be worth fixing.... Jerry(jk5) says yes... We'll see.

Here are a few pics I took before work this morning:

Firewall seam just to the right of the heater blower box:
    [​IMG]

Just below the heater blower box is a hole and is mostly rusted through along the floor seam:
    [​IMG]

The pass. side floor seam by the kick panel:
    [​IMG]

Rust along the bottom of the windshield(dash pad removed):
    [​IMG]

Drivers side floor seam(by the kick panel) from the outside:
    [​IMG]

20. Emmettology 101

I started getting discouraged yesterday with all the rust. Didn't think it was quite this bad.... Just seems crazy of me to push on when I have a 99.8% rust free Yota in the garage thats farther along. But I'll press on and see how the frame is by the back spring hanger shackles are and go from there.

Got the steering box off last night also.. Didn't clean the area real well, but the box was tight and I dont see any cracks yet.....