Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emmision components on a 78

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Aug 7, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 K20 and I was wondering what I need on it for emissions. What did they come with factory. Non CA model. When I bought mine it didnt have a cat, no EGR, no smog pump, and no charcoal canister. I want to get this thing ready to get on the road. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

2. DesertDueler

Okay, found out I dont need a cat since my truck is over 6,000 GVW. Anybody know about the rest?

Dan

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My '79 K10 has an EGR, charcoal canister and a PCV. No smog pump though. Not sure what year those items started being required on trucks though. I dont remember any of those items on my Dads '78 K30 (and he gave me the original motor to his truck at one point that did not have an EGR).

4. DesertDueler

ttt come on guys

Dan

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My 75 has a charcoal canister, PCV, and smog pump, no cats or EGR.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The 400 small block in my 74 K20 came from a 78 suburban 4x4 ,it was over 6000 gvw too,even though it was a 1/2 ton K10 six lug!.Thus,no converters,also no egr valve,just a pcv valve,it was set up just like the 1970 motors with just a charcoal canister,thats was it!.I know the motor was all original,unmolested--(til I came along /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)We dont have to take an emission test here in mass if its a 1984 or older vehicle,just safety inspection--so far anyhow... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

My k5 is an all origional 78 2wd, it had no egr, no cat, no canistor. it had pcv and some kind of throttle actuator that bumped the idle up when coasting on the freeway i think. Also that was with a rochestor 305 2bbl and a 465.

Its the only one I've ever seen like this, but my dad bought it from the origional owner so I'm pretty sure thats how it came from the factory.

Since these are different trucks though, yours may require a different setup.

--Steve--

8. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

interesting... i was just checking my ownership for the gvw, It doesnt say what it is, but it does however say its a C30 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif??? which means one ton, right? Can't be right, but would be cool. Sorry to get off topic, I don't know if that has anything to do with the emissions stuff or not.

9. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I dont believe there is one answer for you......You have to research where you truck was from origanaly. This makes a difference. I have a 1985 sub 350HD but it came from california to begin with and had alot of stuff other 85 burbans didnt. My guess would be to search with the vin # on some of these carfacts sights as a starting point. I maybe wrong dont know for sure but that is what I have encountered. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, found out I dont need a cat since my truck is over 6,000 GVW. Anybody know about the rest?

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true. I am going through the same thing with my '78 K5 right now. My blazer's GVWR is over 6000 and according to 2 smog stations I don't need a cat, but if you crawl underneath the beast you can plainly see the heat shield for a cat. I have a printout here from those two stations with a list of what is needed. For yours it shows that you need PCV, Original air cleaner with closed case , heat shield, and need to be running HEI. Says you don't need anything else. If I weret you, I would go to a shop and get a printout like this. Then when you put on what it says you can take it back to the same shop and not have to argue about what it does or doesn't need. Good luck!!

11. DesertDueler

Mine still has the original exhaust under it with no cat. I dont see a line for a canister, no spot on my factory intake for a EGR, and no spot for a smog pump. So I just wanted to make sure someone didnt take all this stuff off. Cool, no emissions except for PCV, HEI, and a air cleaner.

Dan