Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emmisions help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jun 15, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Went through emmissions testing today and failed. Grrrrrrrrr. Anyway, It's been a while since I've done anything to the motor and I was thinking I'd just replace the spark plugs and Oxygen sensor snd she what thge old gal does. I passed the Hydrocarbon part easy, but barely failed the Carbon Monoxide test. Any reason why the CO levels would be high? I do have a working cat installed, but I disconnected my airpump. I'll reconnect that tomorrow as well. I need some ideas fast because I'm gonna change some stuff out tomorrow morn and go through again.

Thanks in advance.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. CrazeeBush

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Just do a complete tuneup. Change the cap/rotor/wires/plugs. If you passed the HC, then your EGR should be fine. By all means, reconnect the smog pump. What shop did you take this to that you passed the visual inspection when the air pump wasnt connected? I'd like to go there...eheh Anyways, hope this helps

4. CrazeeBush

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I spent about a year getting my 84 to pass so I understand your pain. I don't know what carb you have on it but if you have a Edelbrock carb I now have a great recipe for emissions. A couple of things to do: Take it in good and hot, don't let it sit and idle while you wait. You are buildind up emissions. If you have to take it around the block so that you can drive strait in and get tested do it. CO is too much gas or incorrect air/fuel mixture. Change the oil and plugs and let us know how it goes.

Getsome

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Maybe you answered your own question. The AIR pump being disconnected is probably a major part of it. Think of it "Diluting" your exhaust. This also aids the cat in doing its job. Try connecting it and see what it does.....

Wasn't me.............

7. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how much help the air pump is. When I was having problems with mine I had it tested with the belt off then with the belt on and the hoses plugged. The readings were better with the belt off then with it on and plugged. Why I have no idea but on mine it's help is suspect. After I replaced the air pump and my CO jumped up 20 points. Go figure.

Getsome

8. CrazeeBush

i dunno man, but I just changed the plugs and reconnected the AIR pump, and I'm about to have at it again. The plugs were way due for a change. hehe, it's been 30,000 miles. Anwyay, gonna go give it a try, wish me luck.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com