Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emmisions question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, Mar 2, 2005.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I just realized the edelbrock 1405 I have on my 78 isn't considered emissions legal. I failed IM but I had never rejetted it to my elevation (6000 ft) so I was running waaay too rich. I rejetted it and now the plugs are a nice golden brown. Am i wasting my time will it never pass emmisions with this carb. Edelbrock wouldn't give me a straight answer. has a ny one on here got one to pass:confused:

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to pass a smog inspection with this carburetor. In many South Western States (except the Communist Republic of California) the visual inspection for smog equipment is minimal. The person doing the visual inspection on your truck will not care what carburetor you have on because it is not part of the visual inspection for the required smog equipment. As long as you have the equipment that is visually inspected for, and the tail sniffer test is within spec, you should pass.

For example, I live in Las Vegas, and the only smog equipment that is visually inspected for on my 1985 K30 is an EGR valve and a smog pump. As long as I have those two items, and I past the sniffer test, the inspector does not care what else I have.

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

so what is the differance between legal and non legal carbs. and is a 1405 cabable of passing the sniffer?

I passed the visual I actually have no emmisions equipment on it at all I failed for CO.

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

your running to rich if that is the only thing you failed.

Either use a vac gauge and try to reset your mixture. Or bring it to a shop that has an emission analyzer.

The problem with bringing a shop is that they may tell you; you need a 300 dollar tune up. And some shops may charge 100 just to hook it up to a machine.