Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emmisions questions

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by MJF, Jun 6, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Moving from Texas to Cali has me totally confused about emissions laws.

I am putting together a 4X4 for my brother who lives in Lubbock. What I need to know is: The truck is a cali truck so will it need all the smog equip thaqt was originally supplied with the truck or can I pull it all off & try to make a little horsepower with it?

I am piecing two trucks together so it will be registered as either a 79 GMC 1/2 ton or a 74 Chevy 3/4 ton. I remember the good old days of living in Texas & not worrying about all this crap.

Thanks
    Mike

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If the truck will be living in cali, it will need all of the emissions crap on there. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

No I'm building it to give to my brother in TX. What about emmissions there? My first guess is I can take the smog pump & all off, but I wanna be sure before I pull it & put headers, new carb, and all that stuff.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Do you know if they do the sniffer test where he lives?

If it's a '79, it still has one more year before it's completely exempt from the sniffer test which would mean you need to keep the emissions equip on that it has. If they don't do a sniffer test (visual inspections only) then you're good to do whatever you want with it.

I think they go by the chassis as to what the registered year is...not the body.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Where does he live?

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Lubbock, Tx but if we had to we could register it with my dad's address in Wink, TX.

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if you could register it as the 74 it would be better, less emissons from the factory, plus 3/4 ton, texas just recently changed their emission laws and i am not sure if lubbock has a sniffer test, ask LKJR, he lives in lubbock, if not it would definitely be a plus

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I highly doubt that lubbock has sniffer tests b/c the only cities that have them are the big ones(DFW area, Houston, El Paso) but they may have a visual inspection but I even doubt that.....

9. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

They all have visual inspections. It is part of the safety inspection. It is supposed to have whatever equipment it came from the factory with, on it at the time of inspection. Like my '88 for example has to have the air tube that comes from the radiator support to the air cleaner, or it technically fails a safety(non-emission) test. Sucks but that is the way it is.