Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emmisions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Oct 27, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

OKay, here's the deal, I have an '83 and the emmisions junk on this tihng is horrible, I was looking at convertion everything to pre 80's emmisions that just had PCV and EGR, can anyone give me any insight on this including diagrams and things.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've got an '84 and the engine was swapped out in '89. The one in there now doesn't have any emissions hooked up. It looks like the shop just capped off the emission stuff.

If you need to know something specific, just ask and I'll check. It's a 350 with an edlebrock intake and a holley 600.

I'll have some engine compartment pic's here in the next day or so, and I'll post them when I do.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Yah, that's basically what I'm looking to do. I'm required to pass the sniffer test so I'd like to keep some emmisions equipment but eliminate most. Easiest way I can see is to convert to pre 80 where there was a vaccum switch for the EGR valve. I may just eliminate it all though, still undecided.. I'd like to see those pics.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

4. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

One thing to remember is that they are going to test you for the year of the Blazer not the engine. If you had a 69 327 that you dropped into your 83 Blazer they are going to test the 69 motor to 83 standards not 69. Hope this helpes.

Getsome

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If your state does a visual check, you'll probably fail if you eliminate most of the emissions gear. And, as getsome said, they'll test the truck to the vehicle's standards, not the engine's.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've got an 83 as well and when I replaced my intake gaskets I tore off about 3 miles of vacuum tubes. I kept the egr, anti back fire, and the the smog pump hoses hooked up. I shitcanned all the rest of the garbage. I bought a new neck for the thermostat housing. I'm not sure what all that garbage does that i tossed, but I took it down to be tested and it passed soooooooo.....(by the way, the charcoal cannister hasn't been hooked up for years)I live in AZ and the standards here are pretty high, but they pay young kids 7.50 an hour to test cars so I doubt that they are really up to par on specs. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. I didn't ask, I got my results and hit the road.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim