Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emmission Sniffer Questions?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mini_mull, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Hey, since I've decided not to mod my Burb, being that it's the DD and small child carrier, I've been trying to decide what year of K5 to look for. I was thinking '73 or '74 since theirs no emmissions visual, and only an idle test if you still have FT4WD (thanks for the info in prev posts). But how limiting are the sniffers for that era vehicle? Would I be able to stuff a MPFI BB under the hood and limp through, or is that a pipe dream?

2. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

For 15 years the emissions place never opened the hood on my 1967 C20 (PCV value is the only emissions device on the truck), for some reason this year they opened the hood but I don't think they looked at anything, said if was for cooling reasons :confused:

My brother in laws 73 blazer still has emissions stuff like an evap system that I think they do check for however on a visual. Not sure if this is helpful, but a well tuned engine should be able to pass the sniffer without a problem, not sure about the visual with a BB :D

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

All Wimpy needs (76) is PCV to the base of the carb and crank case breather to the air cleaner housing.

4. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I ran my 86 thru a few months ago here in Tucson...only have my air pump hooked up...all other hoses and connections running into fenderwell to look like they are hooked up...passed with flying colors.
    If you are looking for a project, I have an 80 down here that I doubt I'm going to do anything with. CMOE is coming down next week for the ralleys on it and to take a few pics. Good clean straight body...some rust in drivers floorboard. Dana 44 f, 12 bolt r, it doesn't have a tranny or transfer case in it but I have an sm465 hooked to an np205 sitting in my shop. It does have a 350 in it but was thinking about holding onto that(possible future stroker project for the 86). If you think you might be interested give me a hollar.

Andy

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005