Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emotional Draw

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yeah so the title sucks, never claimed to be good at them so get over it........................................

Thursday night, I was at work. I had just stopped by the house for a little while and got back to rolling down the dark roads waiting for either end of shift or the chaos and mayhem.........................................

When I left my house, I had heard some chatter from another deputy and some of the local guys on his side of the county, but didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later, I hear my coworkers ask dispatch if the sheriff or undersheriff had be notified. Immediately, every red light in my head went the hell off. Here I was, totally clueless and 50 miles away wondering what the hell they had gotten into since we don't notify the bosses unless it's something serious. I'm guessing that whatever had happened occured while I was at home. I had to answer a call of nature and had checked out, so my radio wasn't with me. So I grab my cell phone and asked him what the hell is going on. He tells me they have a missing child and that was all I needed to know. I told him I would be right there. Of course, being 50 miles away, I'm not going to be right there, I think it took me about 25 minutes to get there. I hung up on him, called the other deputy on duty to make sure he is going that way and sure enough, he is almost there. On my way, I contact dispatch and tell her that she needed to notify our off duty K-9. Since the undersheriff had gone 10-8, I told her to page him and let him know.

It was only about 30 degrees or so that night. Pretty balmy temps for what we had been going through, but still pretty wicked for a scared 10 year old. Speed was essential.

I rolled into town at about 1100PM and went straight to the local PD. I walked in and there must have been fifty people there. I walked in just to catch the tail end of the briefing, which was being given by an off duty state trooper that lives in the town. After he got done, I approached him and had him give me the shortened version of what was going down. I then went up to my undersheriff, who rolled in behind me to make sure he had received the page about our K-9. I then climbed into my patrol car and rolled out to a corner of the town to begin a search for this little girl.

Since it was cold, I pulled out my coat, grabbed both my ski caps, some gloves, flashlight and my 10 million candlepower spotlight out of the trunk. Although I had pulled it out before to look for people, we found them before the light actually was of any use.

We broke off into several different groups, our task to walk through the NE corner of town. The trooper, who had unofficially taken charge of the incident until more brass could show up, was out with our group. Him and me were the only ones on foot that had radio communications, and after getting away from my car, I lose commo also, but I could still talk to the trooper, who could relay if need be. In my group, I had a local PD guy from another town who had just moved to the area. We did this without words, but it was for the best because if we found something, we were going to have to treat it like a crime scene.

As our foot search continued on without any success and our lights began to dim from losing their charge, our hopes were sinking. As cops, most of us possess a survival instinct in some part, and a winner instinct for a lot of us. We head out on our daily beats or our investigations with the drive to not only clear up a situation, but to make arrests and stay alive. For some of us, we strut around like the king cock of the farmyard, and for others, we just go about racking up arrests, solving crimes, making solutions for folks without much though of it. A lot of us, we're egotists. Some of us are worse, some of us don't like to brag. When we come together for something like this, egos get checked at the door.

I began to loose track of time as my search efforts became more desparate. This wasn't the first time this town had come together to search for a missing child, but the last time since I've been here, that child was found. We finally came to a finish point in our search with no success.

We gathered back at the local PD. Our K-9 had come up short also. Cops from other agencies began showing up. At one point, one of the guys from my jail who had joined in after he got off duty counted over 20 agencies in the area. We had state, county, local from two different states and we were waiting for the feds to show up. A bloodhound from a Texas prison even had joined the search and she had not been able to locate the girl.

Inside the local PD, the place had been setup for operations. Law enforcement had taken over the PD office, which is co-located with city hall and the fire department. Civilians were in the hallway and conference room, where people had started stocking up on food and drinks. My undersheriff had taken command of the operation. Like I said to someone at a later time, there was no man better for the job. Cool headed, what he couldn't take care of, he delegated.

We had gone out to bang on doors with a probation officer. The undersheriff sent me down to a grocery store to review videotape. I watched almost half a day of tape in an hour. While sitting in the operations center, we received a phone call from an unnamed area of the state after the Amber Alert was issued. For some reason, the cop that was talking to the guy thought a deputy would be better suited for the task and since I was the only deputy in the room, I was graced with the task. I was able to talk for a little bit while my brother listened in. Finally, my brother took over the conversation and it was finally decided we were just spinning our wheels talking to this old boy.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Cliffhanger...

What happened next?

Who was the guy on the phone?

I take it the girl is still missing?

:eek1:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The mood inside our little office was desperate, but we would speak of other things. After things had slowed down, one deputy headed to the house. He had been on the road for 14 hours before assisting in the search and was getting spent. Another deputy, we sent home. The four of us road deputies that were there all were scheduled for patrol on Friday night. We are so small that we don't have a pool of manpower to pull bodies from. We were going to need a couple of semi-fresh folks to work Friday night on our regular shift. We were starting to hunker down for the long haul on this one.

Sometime before the sun was due to come up, the undersheriff sent me out to relieve the other deputy left at the location. He was sitting on a crime scene that had been marked off. I had gotten some food, had some drink, my partner needed some down time.

I sat in my patrol car on the scene, watching the darkness lift from the skies to a new day in this small town. But this wasn't going to be like every other day. The majority of the town was waking up to the Amber Alert being broadcasted. I sat in my car listening to Fox News and about every 20 minutes or so, I would listen to the same alert myself. I engaged in a mortal battle with the sleep monster as the last caffeine intake I had had was in the distant past.

At one point, some of the guys came up with a tarp to cover our scene. That task revitalized me since the wind was blowing and the temps were near freezing, but they soon left me back to my task. As I sat there for those hours on end, all I could think about was what would we find. The hours since this little girl had last been seen was racking up like the numbers on the gas pump. I may just be a mere rookie in this job, but I knew hope was soon to become extinct in this quest.

About four hours after I first began my watch over the scene, a couple of state guys showed up and relieved me. I returned to the operations center to find it drastically different than how I left it. The offices had different folks, the phone company had come in to expand capacity. Now that the PD's number and my agency's phone number had been broadcasted to the national viewership, we were going to need that extra capacity.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I had been inside the place maybe a minute when someone had received a tip about a house just south of town, in Texas. Myself, my partner who had been there at the start, and one of the local guys took off. We were not shy about it either as we left town. I had been told the Texas guys were in route which was a good thing because it was their jurisdiction and we were going to be out of ours, but in times like those, we don't care much. We knew how to deal with the issue if it came to that.

We showed up and began searching for anything that would tell us something. As I strolled through the property, my hopes were fleeting. We were on a bogus call. I began a quick, yet methodical search of the trees. As I was finishing up, I found what I didn't want to find. A hole with the lid left off of it. I did a quick scan of the area around it and there was nothing that would suggest someone had been there recently, but due to the weather conditions, I wasn't about to let the uncovered hole go unlooked.

As I began my approach, all I could think about was my prior history while a cop. The good majority of dead bodies that have been at scenes, I have been there. That's something I'm not proud of and at times like this, it's something I didn't want to think about, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I hollered at my partner, then began my approach. I caught a glimpse of what could have been a body part and my heart started sinking rapidly. I then got up next to the hole to find that it was just PVC pipe and the hole was part of the water system for the house.

We then went back to our vehicles and headed back to town. Got back to the operations center where the undersheriff told us to head to the county yard and get gas. Our gas tank is located at our office, which was 20 miles away and the last person to fill up hours and hours ago had emptied the tank. My partner didn't have enough gas to get to our tank, and I was starting to get below a quarter of a tank. I had taken quick glances at my tripmeter and I had not even 150 miles on this tank of gas. During normal operations, That's just about 8 gallons of gas I've burned up, but this tank, I had burned enough that I had maybe gotten 10 miles to the gallon.

While I was around my partner, the unwritten word was we were staying until we had a conclusion. When we gassed up, I had been awake for about 24 hours, I had been on duty for about 20 of those hours. My partner, even though I don't know what time he had woke up before our day had begun, started his shift at about the same time I did.

We returned to the operations center where the undersheriff told us to go home and rest up. I asked him when he wanted me back and his reply was asking me when I was scheduled. I left there, calculating my drive home (I live 50 miles from this town) and came up with a grand total of 2 hours. My partner, who happens to live in the town where all of this was occurring, would be able to squeeze out a little more. My brain had shut down hours ago. All I knew was what had to be done, if given the task, I would do it. But there comes a time when a person is burned out they are no good. I left town wondering what would be found in my downtime. We had fresh bodies, we had professionals now in command.

I stopped by my office to find the SGT on duty in communications assisting. We only run one dispatcher at a time who is responsible for the radio and phones and during any other normal day, those two tasks are a hand full for even the most seasoned professional. As I found out later from our swing shift dispatcher, all four lines were lit up all day with no breaks.

I made a quick stop by the post office in my town to pin up a flyer of the missing girl and to stop by the convenience store to give them more flyers. I then came home where my clothes went into the washer, I called dispatch to let them know I was off duty and a phone call to the wife to call me at 3PM to make sure I was awake.

I went to sleep at 1PM afraid of what news I would receive in two hours as I got up to begin anew..................................

5. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

The title does'nt suck its perfect. Keep us posted when you can.

Carry on Jonny Law, carry on...

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The phone rang. I had woke up, but I had not answered it fast enough, but I could hear the voice on my answering machine. I looked at my alarm clock. It was 217PM. The voice on the answering machine was my SGT that was in communications. I quickly found the phone and answered it before he hung up.

"The girl's been found."

My heart started to sink even further. The next question was not the question I wanted to ask, but was forced to.

"Alive?" The reluctance in my voice could have been heard in the next time zone. I did not want to hear the answer.

"Yes, she escaped in Clovis, NM and is safe."

I had been awake for about 28-29 hours, I had gone home, been asleep for a little over an hour and the answer I received had jumpstarted my heart. Then the SGT asked me when I was supposed to be back to work, which I told him at 4 and he told me to go back to sleep and don't go back on duty until I woke up. I ended up going back in at 630PM, along with the crew that had been around the night prior. We were dragging all night long. We usually look forward to Friday nights and how much self initiated activity we can start. We went throughout the night just answering any calls if needed, staying away from driving since we were all dead-assed tired. For the first Friday in ages, I actually cut my night short and was in my driveway a couple of minutes before official quitting time.

7. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Thank God!

Rest easy.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn, so somebody had snatched her? Was she OK? Did they get the sumbitch that grabbed her?

Have you caught up on your sleep yet?

Rene

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I went through the night not thinking about how bad of a time we were having. My thoughts were of what exactly transpired. How did this one turn out like it did? Was there a higher power involved? I don't know.

Although I have been privy to some of the information, I was just a foot soldier through the ordeal with one goal in mind. Cops talk. I've heard this, I've heard that. Whatever happens now is out of my hands. I can say I had lost hope, but I really don't know if I did. The curve balls that came flying during my involvement was numerous. I never saw the outcome. I'm glad it happened.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That is wild. I'm damn glad to hear she was found ok. Few stories keep me on the edge of my seat, but this did it.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yeah, she got snatched. She's OK as far as I know. I don't know if they have the bastard in custody or not.

As for the sleep thing, yup. I got up about noon after getting to sleep at about 2am this morning. Showered, got dressed and shoveled a few inches of snow.

12. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bubba, i'm glad there are people who care as much as you do. Thanks.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

damn dood, thats crazy
    so i guess thats waht that amber alert was about yesterday?
    no info on the sign, it just said "tune into local raido"

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup..................

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Was that the girl from Texhoma who got away at a convince store?

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Damn good storry bubba, you did it justice in how you told it:bow:

It musta been a hell of a few days:eek1:

17. filo

filo Registered Member

Thank you, sir, for telling your story...very well too. The rest of us go to work expecting the same old thing. This gives us an insight of what it takes to keep our country(s) safe and free from all bad guys. I salute you and your drive to serve!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Glad it turned out OK, and props to the girl for the fast thinking on her part.