Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Employment choice, Vatozone or driving a bus?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by afroman006, May 14, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I am about to quit working the graveyard shift at the hotel. It doesnt work very well with classes for me and after only about 3 months, I am tired of working at night. I am looking into either driving a bus for the school, or working at vatozone as a counter monkey.

Our school has a bus system that totaly kicks ass. All the busses are driven by students and the hours are extremely flexible, to work around classes. It is mostly during the day on weekdays, but you can work at nights or on extra charters during the weekends if you want to. I think the hourly pay is somewhere around $8 an hour and you get a class B CDL. While waiting at stops you can read or just sit there with your thumb up your butt. The only bad part is bus ops has been experimenting with some restructuring lately and has been hiring and firing drivers in waves, and I believe has just, or is about to cut the hourly pay down considerably.

Then there's vatozone. I, like most people here, am a gearhead. I have more general knowledge of parts than about 80% of the people I have come across in auto parts stores. They just built a brand spankin new store near my house so I'm sure they are hiring. I think the pay is around $6 an hour, and I would assume they offer an employee discount, which would be the biggest single reason to work there. I know I would have to put up with alot of stupid **** and stupid people, but I would like to have the chance to learn about selling autoparts. Ultimately my goal would be to work at our local Napa. It is the pinacle of auto parts stores, I have never been to a better one. They only hire employees that they have stolen from all the other local stores, and they all seriously know their ****.

Neither of these have any bearing on my career choice so thats not really a factor. I'm torn about what to do though.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Trying to find out what part Jesus needs or checking out hotties on the bus????????????????????????

Hard decision there, though if the employee discount is worth the trade off.....................

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

go for the bus unless cook's machine shop/napa is willing to give you a job

even better get a job at frrebird's and figure out how to overnight them to europe as a business expense..... now I'm craving freebird's ****ing aggies

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

let's see, sitting down driving a school bus and waiting at stops for more money than taking **** from stupid customers looking for muffler bearings on a 74 Pacer?

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get the store job for two reasons:

1. You get the afore mentioned discounts, and your peers will make you feel like a genius.
    2. You will keep the entire CK5 website entertained with stories from dealing with I D 10 T s.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

IF you get the bus job before they drop the pay rate then they cant lower you pay rate...At least in ct they cant without reason...

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how much?????

Work at Autozone for SIX bucks an hour???? !!!!!!... man,around here they start you at 8 bucks an hour ,at least!..glad I dont live where you are!..that job isn't as easy as it looks..

BTW..I'd have to get 20 bucks an hour to ever consider being a counterman again..being a slave to a telephone AND having to kiss moronic customers butts with bad attitudes isn't worth a penny less..I quit after 20 years in 1994 and I'm still trying to regain my sanity..between the anal bosses I had,and customers who drove me nuts,I feel I waited far too long to try my hand at self employment..

I say get the bus drivers job--at least your boss wont be watching over your shoulder all day...you meet nice looking chicks,and like you said,a lot of the time your reading a book or something..not bad to get paid for doing that!..

I know a "security gaurd" who sits in a chair at a hotel all night,and gets 15 bucks an hour,with health and dental benifits too..his gun is rusty,and he's never had to take it out of the holster in 15 years!...I'd like to have his job someday...:rolleyes: :crazy:

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah if I do the bus thing I would get to drive the sorority row route every once in awhile in addition to charters for them. I suppose it is a no-brainer...

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Kinda reminds me of the last scene in Dumb and Dumber.