Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Employment suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 24, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not going to college until the fall and need a job.

I got fired from Autozone for a bullshit reason that was beyond my control or my bosses control so I now work at another auto parts store, which took me less than one day to get the job after losing my job from Autozone because my references and work experience are damn near unquestionable.

That said, I don't much care for this new job after only one day of working there. I would like to give them a chance, but in the mean time, I would like other employment suggestions for decent paying jobs that I can do with a high school job and the skills I have.

Granted, I'm a good counter man, but I prefer to deal with customers that walk in the door, not just commercial customers that call on the phone. I guess I might stay there and see how it goes, but I would like to look for something else.

So, what pays $12 an hour or so full time to someone with a high school diploma and auto parts knowledge? Is this really the most money I can possibly make at my age with my work habits?

I live in the Chicago area. Man, I just feel so nit picky about working, I know I should be happy to work at all. I just really liked my job at Autozone and agreed with their way of doing things generally. Plus I had a pretty good position and made pretty decent money and got overtime every week which was great.

I guess I'm so lost in the realm of things. I know auto parts really well and honestly I could make this a career if I wanted to, but it doesn't challenge me enough and I'm really looking for something that requires more thinking than auto parts has available to me.

I can't really see myself in college but I can't really see any other option either. I don't want to sell auto parts for the rest of my life and struggle to buy a house at 30 or provide for any future family.

Honestly, I just need the advice of some older people here that at 20 years old had no clue what they wanted to do with their life.

I know I don't have to be a rich man, but before I'm 25, I want my own house (no matter how small it may be) and a steady job. I have no intention of having children, either, although that may change. I just want a stable life, I suppose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really want to work somewhere that I can't stand working, although I haven't decided if I really like my new job or not yet, it's not looking too good.

2. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Construction of one kind or another might not be a bad thing too look into. Not grunt type but try a specific field. A lot of times you can get in under an apprenticeship, do the work for 2-3 years or so then take a State test and get certified. Youd be surprised too see how often construction workers get paid more than someone that went to school for several years.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Work's a pain in the arse, plain and simple, and I say that knowing I have an awesome job right now and probably everything I could've asked for in a job. We in America, I think, put too much importance on our jobs. Yeah, of course they're important, but we don't live to work, we work to live, right? But at the same time, if my advice were to stay at the job you don't like, I'd also say make sure life outside it is great (irrelevant to money) to keep you out of depression, and don't tie yourself to your job. If you were hit by a bus, they'd find a way to replace you, don't think you'll never find a way to replace them and you owe it to them to give up yourself for them.

I didn't get a real college education, but I can try to bluff it without actually saying I didn't complete college. If you're wondering about a career decision, I would say try to find a way to get some college on your resume, even trade schools, even if you don't learn 1/4 what they teach.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not anti-college, I just don't really want to go full time. I would like to one day have a degree in something.

I'm going to keep the job I hate for now, because it will help me fund my projects for right now and unemployment won't. That said, I'm looking for ideas.

An apprenticeship is out of the question. I'm not going to do a dead end job like this full time for a long time, I just can't, especially with my knee condition that makes me less than mobile some days. I need something that doesn't require any physical strength at all, as climbing a ladder sometimes or walking up stairs is painful enough for me.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this really the most money I can possibly make at my age with my work habits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been that age in 7 years, but I'd say that's a pretty nice wage, respectively.

That construction thought reminded me, supposedly, the workers with the highest job-satisfaction in the world are demolition men... Something to think about if you want satisfaction in a long day...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, that's the sad thing. I already make more than the 62 year old man next to me at the counter...and I just got hired.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tim, You already have a back round in Sales, How about selling Real Estate?

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just can't, especially with my knee condition that makes me less than mobile some days. I need something that doesn't require any physical strength at all, as climbing a ladder sometimes or walking up stairs is painful enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think your knee is bad now, just wait a couple years....

I'd tough it out where you are and start taking a class or two at the community college...just the basics pretty much the stuff you have to take no matter what...while you are there, you will be exposed to a few ideas that may help you discover a direction while you are adding to your resume...

my brother struggled in construction for 20 years making an "ok" wage until he stumbled on to Surveying...after a year he took a few jobs on his own, and within 3 years he has his own company with 30 employees...

Any schooling is preferable to none...at your age, I'd be working on building a foundation...it'll pay off in the long run...Especially with the Govt leaning toward Privitization of Health and Retirement....Just my .02... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So, what pays $12 an hour or so full time to someone with a high school diploma and auto parts knowledge? I

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're seriously getting paid $12 an hour, please tell me where you work so I may avoid their bullsh*t high prices............................

How in the [darn]?????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So, what pays $12 an hour or so full time to someone with a high school diploma and auto parts knowledge? I

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're seriously getting paid $12 an hour, please tell me where you work so I may avoid their bullsh*t high prices............................

[/ QUOTE ] So what the hell is wrong with a man earning a decent wage.I guess that since you think that you are so much Smarter than everyone else you are the only one to make a decent wage /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Youve got sales experience...Learn to sell sticks and building materials. Its what you make of it most guys work 40 a week sell 2+ mil a year at 24% and usualy get 6-8% comission. After time the job gets easier and you want more money soyou end up at 50+ hours a week and sell 4-5 mil a year @ 22% and get 10-12% com. Not bad money and its something diferent everyday.

Except when you have to work your Saturdays...But you get paid to surf the net /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    So what the hell is wrong with a man earning a decent wage.I guess that since you think that you are so much Smarter than everyone else you are the only one to make a decent wage

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Asshatus Ignoramus, you should really back your conveyance up before you insert your foot into your piehole since you are totally clueless of what you talk about.......................

If you feel the urge to inquire further about this subject, please do and I'll be gladly to educate you on this.................

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So what the hell is wrong with a man earning a decent wage.I guess that since you think that you are so much Smarter than everyone else you are the only one to make a decent wage /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, before I depart the friendly confines of CK5, I have one quick question for ya mudjunkie, you pro-union? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Oh no not the union vs. non-union debate /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh no not the union vs. non-union debate /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no, not anything like that. I'm just curious as to if Mr. Mudjunkie beleives in what the labor union stands for and does, that's all; nothing less and nothing more.......................

But then again I really don't expect a response from him after the posting of that BS labor website with the petitition against the so-called overtime legislation that's in Congress. It's kind of hard to have an intelligent debate over an issue when one side starts off talking smack when the other side comes in with something called facts; reminds me of listening to the crickets on a warm, Oklahoma evening.................

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif By the way, what is THE labor union? Is there one single governing body?

17. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    By the way, what is THE labor union? Is there one single governing body?

[/ QUOTE ]

and does this include Police Unions?..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Around here, the Illegal Immigrant labor pool....you know, the bunch that hangs on the corner and ya drive by and they jump on your truck....Demands $10 hr...

with 1br apts going for $600 plus elec ($60-$80), $12hr is not real big money...I guess it's pretty much all relative to the cost of living in your area....

not trying to fan a fire....just mildly curious...

18. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So what the hell is wrong with a man earning a decent wage.I guess that since you think that you are so much Smarter than everyone else you are the only one to make a decent wage

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Asshatus Ignoramus, you should really back your conveyance up before you insert your foot into your piehole since you are totally clueless of what you talk about.......................

If you feel the urge to inquire further about this subject, please do and I'll be gladly to educate you on this.................

[/ QUOTE ]The only thing you could Educate anyone on is how to be a Silly, Arrogant, Self Centered jerk off. And yes I am pro Union and have been a Union member for 23 years.

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

The yard I used to work in was a Union yard. Those boneheads hid behind it all the time. But were a right to work state so we had 3 or 4 guys who werent in the Union. They got paid more because they were performance based. And there benifits cost less and were beter than the teamsters.
    On a side note the boss like the Union because the true cost per hour was less with them because of the benifits the rest of the company had, so once you saw it on paper you realized how much beter the company was with the union. Plus the contract had performance standards in it so when they screwed up we could screw them over hard...or just suspend them for 3 days with out pay.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Tim.
    If you like the auto parts feild. Perhaps you should set your sights a little higher than being a counter man selling parts to the public. You obviously have quite a bit of experience in the feild.
    Maby look into business to business sales and supply. Be the guy who sells Autozone their parts.
    Taking a few marketing and business classes would not hurt your resemue either.
    There must be large nationwide parts suppliers in your area. Contact them and put in apps for sales positions. Companies are always looking for agressive people to sell their product. A good salesman can make a pretty good living.

Course you might have to smooth out a few of your rough edges first. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif