Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Encountered a new problem today!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by flatline, Mar 19, 2005.

1. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Well I fired up the truck today to head out to the parents house and visit my nephew. I let the truck idle for around 5 mins to warm up before I took off, well about a mile down the road she starts bucking like a mule?? :confused: I check all my gauges and the oil pressure is pegged at 60, so I am like WTF?? I pull over to the side of the road and check the oil, it's 1/2 quart low so I top it off and fire it back up. I stop for gas and decide to check the oil again and I notice metal shavings on the end of the dipstick!!! :mad: I plan on dropping the pan tomorrow to inspect for further damage that may have incurred and to check the filter screens on my pickup tube.

My question on this is why are there metal shaving showing up in my oil? Is this a sign of premature failure of my engine? I haven't had this truck a month and I think my little 305 is heading downhill quickly! it's losing power all the time and doesn't seem to have any pull at all, requardless of the 35" tires.

So tomorrow I am breaking out the tool box and will drain and refill all the vital fluids, attempt to retune the motor and see if I can keep her alive, at least till I can get the 350 out of my blazer and clean it up. I do plan to swap the motor in mid summer but I don't have the time or money right now to start the project as I am getting married in less than 2 months.

I am currently running valvoline 10w30 / delco oil filter on my 305, will running a thicker motor oil help? A friend suggested I run the high mileage motor oil as the chemical compound will expand the gaskets and stop the minor leaks I have at the rear main seal and lubricate the motor better on cold starts.

I am also looking for magnetic drain plugs and the oil filter magnet to try to keep these shaving from going farther into my engine.

any suggestions and hints are appreciated ! Come on CK5 I need your input!

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking if you can see metal shaving on the dipstick you have issues. When you drain the oil and you find more and bigger pieces you might as well get busy on the engine swap. If you're swapping the 305 for a 350 it won't cost you anything since it's a direct swap. If and when you seen those bigger metal pieces you might as well save the oil for the new motor

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Start making funeral arrangements for that 305.....

If you can "see" metal in the oilpan, you're on a rapid downhill spiral....those flecks are also circulating through the bearings, and everywhere else.....where undoubtedly it's chewing up the surfaces it is being forced through....kicking up even MORE debris....

A complete flush and filter change may be better than nothing, but it sure sounds like something catastrophic is underway. :(

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I agree with the others.... If you can see metal on the dipstick, I wouldn't put one more dime in to that engine. :(

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Place your bets here...

I bet the lobes are dissapearing on the camshaft--it happens a lot on small blocks,especially the 305 and 307 motors...the magnetic drain plug is a good idea,it will help keep the metallic crap out of the rest of the motor--but its likely some damge has already been done--those metal peices go thru all the bearings and oil pasages before getting trapped in the oil filter...better get the other motor ready..:frown1:

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

agreed.
    what looks like metal shavings could be chunks of your rod bearings. ask me how i know. :crazy:
    If you can see metal chunks, its a matter of time before it starts grooving the cylinder walls and the crank journals, requiring a total rebuild boring the block and turning the crank.
    This is your first warning sign and it still might be in good shape, when you keep pushing it, damage is bound to happen.

7. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Well I guess I will pull the motor this week on the blazer and start going over the 350 so when the 305 gives out, I have it ready.

I changed the oil and it really wasn't the bad, just a few little flakes here and there, nothing major, but that metal is coming from somewhere, so it will be coming out soon.

Thanks for the input