Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Energy Suspension Motor Mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Sep 2, 2002.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone else had any problems installing Energy Suspensions motor mounts? I bought the black poly urethane mounts and I can't get the holes to line up. I have the inserts installed with the tabs facing the correct way (tried it the wrong way the first time /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) Now when the shells are bolted to the frame, the holes in the mounts are about 1" narrower than the hole in the mounts that are bolted to the block. I've tried unbolting the from the frame and putting them on the motor first, no good. The only thing I can come up with is elongating the holes in the shells a bit and the holes in the frame a little bit too. My problem is no air to run my die grinder, I may have to rent a compressor.

Just wondering if anyone has done this or has another solution or suggestion.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I just put some in my 79 when I did my engine rebuild. I didnt really have any problems with them. I did have to loosen the mounting bolts on the frame because there wasnt enough clearance between the mounts and bellhousing, but that wasnt really a big deal. I really like mine, a lot better than the worn out 23 yr old stock ones.

Are you sure you dont have the mounts upside down? I dont know if it will make any difference but it might.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Make sure you got the correct mounts. One inch is a lot of difference.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup! I had trouble getting mine to line up the first time. I had to bolt the drivers side in (keeping the bolts somewhat loose), then bolt both halves of the passenger's side to the block (the part that bolts to the block and the part that bolts to the frame keeping them together with the through bolt). I then purchased longer bolts to go through the lower half of the mount and through the frame to start the nut. I got one of the longer bolts started on the top, secured it with a nut, then used a C-clamp to pull the bottom of the mount (which was not lined up where it was supposed to be) down to the frame where it mounts. Once everthing was in place I put the shorter (correct length) bolts in place and tightened everything up. It was a little work but well worth it. Remember poly is not as workable as rubber, but that is the whole point. I would still do it again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

And if you think that is hard. Try installing the ORD racing poly mounts, those were a bear (and that is with no front end on the truck)!!! But again I would do it all over again. Those suckers REALLY hold the motor in place.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You know, I got a sway bar kit from them and had to modify the sleeves a little bit (the hole was too small). You might take a really good look at it and compare it to a stock one and see if the holes are exactly the same

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check the motor mount bracket on the frame. There are bolts and rivits that often fall out and allow the bracket to drop and you will never git it lined up if they are missing. I have to put a 2x4 on end on the jack and push up on the bracket to get it to line up. I'm getting ready to put the polys in mine. The lifetime motor mounts from Auto Zone are already shot after 3 years and the harmonic ballancer is about 1/4 inch from the cross member.

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I hogged out the holes on the shells a bit and I think it will work. I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks for the replies.

8. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I couldn't wait 'til tomorrow and went out and got the darn thing in. I had to put the long bolt throught he block and mount, take off the zip ties holding the halves together, and bolt one side in at a time using longer bolts.

The 383 is in!! TH400 and Doubler is next up!!