Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

energy suspension question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Jul 17, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

there has been alittle discussion about this lately, but i have a few more questions. i understand the need to replace the old factory rotton rubber bushing, etc. in the suspension. but is the motor mounts,t-case, and tranny mounts neccessary and worth the expense ? i already have a body lift (so there is the cab mounts !) i, like many on this board, plan to keep my blazer forever, should this merit the purchase of these items alone ? any and all comments are appreciated.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I figure, do it once and do it right.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I agree with 55Willy.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but is the motor mounts,t-case, and tranny mounts neccessary and worth the expense

[/ QUOTE ] That is a good question. My personal feeling is yes, and it is for several reasons. You are planning on keeping this vehicle for a long time, you don't want to run the risk of hitting the fan against the shroud (which can happen as rubber mounts age or you start flexin' especially with body lifts), and they will outlast rubber. I would also do it if you are going to put in a high output motor. My motor (in the 80) twisted in the rubber mounts (they were brand new from GM) and caused the t-case adapter to crack. I have since put in ORD's poly mounts (a little different from Energy Suspension ones) and have not had a single problem. I am in the process of putting Energy Susp. motor mounts in the 78 (both the 78 and 80 have E.S. t-case poly mounts) and you can see/feel a big difference between those and the stock ones, and in my opinion (since I plan to keep both rigs) is money well spent.
    The only time I wouldn't do it is if your rubber mounts are brand new and you do mostly on-road driving (they are still OK to use), but save up for replacing them in the future as they age, or if you are not planning on keeping the rig.

I'm not saying everybody has to/should go out and buy them, but it is something to consider as your vehicle ages and you want to keep it....

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

This is what I have been wondering myself. I am going to do everything I can to prevent breaking or cracking the t-case/transmission adapter again. I think I am also going to get new poly mounts from ORD for the adapter and the engine.