Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eng. cranks but won't start (still)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AKbigsub, Oct 6, 2005.

1. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

90 Suburban 350cid, w/TBI, TH400. Here are the symptoms: Check eng. light NOT on (it does work); Once running it runs fine (slight miss that has been there for a year before this problem started); starts fine the first time in the morning (so far); drive it for a short time and shut it off, try to restart it and it just cranks over, if I cycle the ignition ten times it will start. I have tried to cycle the key seven, eight, nine times and sometimes it will start but ten seems to be the magic # that works every time. I am at my wits end and need help. The fuel pump does run when I turn the ign. to the run possition (every time). I did replace the fuel pump already (new A/C Delco pump), there are no leaks in the lines that I can see, when it will not start there is no fuel coming out of the injectors. I have checked the injector plugs for change in voltage while cranking and there is a change but I would rather check for injector pulse using a node light but I don't have access to one. HELP!

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check that the feed to the ecm is good during cranking. Check fuel pressure. Use WINaldl or similar to see what is going on with your sensors especially coolent sensor. Are you getting a spark when cranking?
    First thing I'd do is check fuel pressure and go from there.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That could be a flaky ignition module in the distributor. In addition to creating spark, it also sends pulses to the ECM so it knows when to fire the injectors.

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The ignition module was the trick. I replaced it and all is good! :D