Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engagement Rings

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Boss, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I'm young (25), all my friends are young like me, Don't have any married friends, so I'm a rookie and will be the first among friends to...you know...go the distance /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    I don't think this topic was ever discussed on ck5...something new right /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just a couple questions:

Why are Platinum ring settings worth more than white gold? Are they tougher, harder to scuff? they basically "look" the same in color...?? but the platinums are more $$$.

Another thing, am I crazy to even consider spending like $4 G's on a ring? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I was "browsing" the jewelers at the mall the other day, thinking that I will go all out and spend $1K on a ring. But after checking out all these rings, it seems that any under $3 to $4k were a joke...I mean, really looked dinky (my opinion). So, now I'm thinking I gotta suck it up and fork out around $4 G's!! Who knows...

Funny, I was checking out this one ring, and then asked the teller, "how much?"
    She said "$1200, but the ring is on clearance for 50% off"
    I was like "Really? $600! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif , I'll take it!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif "
    Then she was like, "How the hell do you get $600 from $4200!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif "
    I laughed and said "heheheh, Oh, I thought you said $1200, but you actually said $4200...hehehe /forums/images/icons/blush.gif "
    She just looked at me and didn't even smile! Mean old Lady! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    I just handed her back the ring and walked away embarrassed! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif LOL

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Platinum is a more expensive metal. That's why I had it put on my dubs and teeth.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You may consider looking at a "discount" place that sells loose diamonds rather than those Mall stores that have everything already made up...a good jeweler will show you how to use a loupe and point out how to look for flaws in the stone (all diamonds have flaws)...I bought a 1.07ct Oval, registered, and lasar coded for $2400...the bands were another $400 (gold w/1/2ct baguettes)...I looked at how the stone would fit her hand, rather than just going for "big"...round is fairly ordinary, and therefore the least expensive...if you purchase a loose stone, you can spend your hard earned cash on something unique and match it to a setting that looks proportional on your ladies hand...(I borrowed a customer who had hands about the same size I was shopping for)...if she's the right girl, the size of the stone means less to her than the fact that you took your time and went to the trouble of searching for something as special and unique as she is...Hope you have as much luck as I did.....

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Boss!!! Here's my take on things:

I don't know anything about platinum this and diamond/carat/clarity that. I DO know, however, that a girl who needs a $4000 ring in order to accept your hand in marriage isn't worth your time. The whole point of an engagement ring is the fact that it symbolizes a beginning of a lifelong commitment. That's ALL that matters. These adds that talk about "one month's salary" have nothing to do with true love- to DeBeers and Co., it's all about money.

When I was 21, I proposed to my wife(of course, at the time she was my wife-to-be.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ). We had just bought our first home, and were in the beginning of our careers which meant that we had almost no money to spare. I fretted and worried about buying the "right" ring because I was convinced that spending a lot of cash would show her that I loved her a lot. I finally talked with her about it and she found it quite comical that I felt an expensive ring would make a difference to her. She outright told me not to waste my/our money because we had lots of things to buy for the house and a wedding to plan. I guess I'm lucky to have a girl who isn't wrapped up in material things, eh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Anyhow, I assume you love this girl. And a good guy like yourself probably hasn't settled for some chick who's materialistic and phoney. Maybe you could try bringing it up with her and gauge how she feels. It could save you a lot of cash and worrying /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif. And I'm sure you and the new missus have better things to spend money on.....

One last note: Rings and shite like that are of little importance to me. Believe it or not, my wedding ring cost me $65 and it's still(although barely) kicking. Once again- to me, it's not about the money you spend. It's about the joy you feel when you glance down, see that ring on your finger and think about the reason you wear it every day.

BTW, congratulations on your upcoming engagement, brother!!! Good for you!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

my wifes ring is si 1,g at 1.8 carrots 5 grand.
    i love my wife,it hurt to spend that kind of money on a ring
    but she is worth every penny /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

You know what, the cost of the ring really shouldn't matter. You do what you can and thats it. I'm sure she loves you very much and the ring will stand for your love to her. That is worth more then platinum, gold, or anything you need to make payments on.

Its so sweet of you go want to go all out to get her something not "dinky" but I'm sure if you do what you can its going to mean the same to her no matter what you spend.

I myself couldnt imagine having something worth 1000 or more dollars on my finger. I think it would fall off in shock lol. My point is its going to mean the world to her no matter how much it costs.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I just had to put my 2 cents in. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

A ring shouldn't be the biggest thing to matter... but really all girls want a nice ring even if they won't admit it. I know I do even though I joke a new set of boggers would be cool to me! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif $4,000 is not an uncommon price for a ring. I went with my friends boyfriend to help him get her a ring. He didn't want to ask her because it was a surprise and I was able to be at the mall and walk by a jeweler and saw oh hey look at how pretty! Then see what she liked without her suspecting anything. I was able to tell him what she liked the best. It was rather cool!

He spent $3,500 and it was on sale from $5900 (or so they claim). It's platnium and yellow gold. It was a nice 3/4 karat diamond. Very good clarity and color. That's a big thing... size might be nice, but if it's flawed it's not as good. IMO you are better off with a smaller diamond with nice color and clairty then a big fat diamond that is big time flawed.

Whatever you do spend the extra money and get the diamond charted/mapped and maybe even marked with a laser. This way if you take the ring to be cleaned you can always be sure you are getting back your diamond and not something cheap they switched in. It's been done before and could happen... which is why it's good to stick to one jeweler so if it does you can pin point who did it really fast!

My best advice talk to one of her friends and do what my friends now husband did... see if they can get her ring shopping and see what she likes. She loved her ring and I never let on I told him so she thinks he picked it which earned him some fat brownie points for getting a ring which she loved! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think women should buy their husbands a set of snap-ons or something when we get married. theres just something about the shiny, cold steel that can really get a guys mojo workin /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

I think a general rule is a ring should be at least 2 months salary! but I would only spend 2500 tops and you should get somthing pretty nice, a local mom and pop shop will be able to make a custome ring, probably cheaper! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

read my sig- for my opinion on jewelry

Steph's right, though most women won't admit it, the first thing that they do when someone get's a ring, is check out the size of the diamond. They will say size doesn't matter, bologna!

When John was shopping for my ring, he asked me what I preferred, we had already been together for 4 years, we knew we were getting married etc... we went shopping together, now it may not seem romantic, but by golly this ring will be on my finger for the rest of my life, not his finger!

We spent the day going to different jewlers, found a few rings that I really liked, got the apprasial/card on each one, went home, I went through them again- narrowed it down to 3 of my favorites, gave the cards to him, and he chose from those 3. It was still a "suprise" because I didn't know which one.

My ring is Platinum & Yellow Gold band, with a 11/2 C marquise cut center stone, and 6 baggets on each side, total C weight is almost 3 C's cost was just under $5,000 Appraised at $7500 and insured at $10,000

Brandy

11. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

As far as jewelery goes its all one big trumped up way to make some fat cash. Diamonds are not as rare as one might think, they're just really expensive because they are a controlled commidity to make them seem like they're more rare. Platnum is more expensive because its more rare than gold..simple as that. As for getting married, I busted my ass to get my wife her ring and it only cost like a grand. What made it important to her was the fact that I busted my ass to get it and that I cared enough to propose in a way that was meaningful to her. Save the big expensive rings and junk for later and put the money to better things...its expensive to live and even more expensive to establish a household, just remember that. Good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I fully agree w/ K5Jimmy. Don't buy a diamond from a mall jewelry store. I bought my 4 years ago (geez, has it been that long! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) on line from a place called Droste's, www.drostes.com. They have a great web site where you can learn all about diamonds. Also, they were very friendly over the phone, it's a family owned business in Indiana (?, one of the midwest states) from what I understood (son and two bros I think). Anyway, I got a 1 carat princess cut, D color, VS1 clarity for around $3k if I remember right. It appraised for more than $5k. Those folks even shipped me 3 loose diamonds that I was deciding between so I could look at them in person before I actually bought them. Two other guys I worked w/ at the time also bought their diamonds from that place. Obviously, there are a lot of good diamond dealers out there, just thought I'd share my experience w/ Drostes.

13. Boss

Thanks for all the info guys & gals /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I really appreciate it. Opened up my eyes a bit too.

Just a little background on me & the relationship. I've been dating Fran (g/f), for over 4.5 years now.. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Wow sounds longer than it really seemed...
    Anyhow, she is definately not a materialistic chic. I mean, she's one of those girls that loves to shop and has tons of clothes and shoes and stuff, which I'm not sure why she needs all that, but you get the idea...Some CK5 members have met her on some trail runs, and I'm sure they all agree, that she really puts up with me! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    A while back, I remember looking through the newspaper ads and they had a bunch of rings on sale in a Hechts catalog I think. I showed it to her and asked, "which kind of ring would you prefer out of all of these?" She picked the simplest looking one, and one of the cheaper ones. She told me I better not spend more than $500 on a ring, if I ever! (that's why I was thinking $1k is "going all out!")

But, I really want to suprise her with something. I don't see it as a, you need to spend $$$ to show love, but more like, I take pride in my selections, and really want to give her a nice one....hard to explain.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is, I can spend $300 to $500 on a "dinky" ("dinky" in my opinion, not hers or anyone elses) and give that to her and I know she'll love it and be all happy, but "pride" factor aint there. If she's going to wear it forever, might as well be a nice one right??

But I agree, $4K is just way too much, I mean, I'll be even more in the hole (debt), then I already am.
    I will search around for some deals like some have suggested, and see if I can get the $4K type rings for half that. I'm going to raise the bar to $2500 and go from there.
    I don't want to bring her into the ring selection process, b/c I really want to suprise her. I mean, "out of the blue" suprise. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Thanks for listening folks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif And thanks for all the suggestions!
    Boss

14. Boss

Thanks for the link, I'm checking it out right now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh, and Balzackks, I agree with you 100%!!!

15. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Find a good reputable jeweler, stay away from the mall.
    Tell him what you are looking for and he can order about 5-10 loose stones to chose from. You can look at them from all sides to see whatever flaws they have, and see the true color. You want a platinum setting as it is stronger and it is "white"-silver and won't make the diamond look yellow.
    The band can be platinum or gold, usually whatever your wife-to-be prefers or wears more often.
    My besst advice is: don't pic a stone for it's shear size. Get the best color, clarity and perfect stone for what you CAN AFFORD. A perfect or nearly perfect 1/2 carrot will outshine a 1.5 in my opinion. You can also get a wrap for the ring if it is a solitare later on as an anniversary type gift.

16. Boss

Yeah, she prefers White Gold, She's a silver person, not a yellow gold person, that's why when I was looking at pics of platinum bands vs. white gold, they look the same, but the platinum was so much more $$. I know the platinum metal is more rare, but to me that doesn't justify the cost. But if it's more durable, then I can see why the cost is more...???

17. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Good for you boss I met Fran at the UPC run nice girl
    OK the ring just a reminder she will be showing this thing to everyone she sees for a lifetime and $4500 way too much but $1000 is light do forget you spent at least $850.on that ORD doubler set up and you don't think that will stand by your side for a lifetime
    Hay get her a ORD doubler that a good symbol of true love

And try to get it on videotape some of my friends did that and they are glad they did

GOOD LUCK

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PM Noangel. She has a ring for sale.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Platinum is much more durable than white gold. white gold is essentially yellow gold with alot of other stuff added to it until it turns white. So, it's like precious pot-metal. Platinum is a more durable and will hold the stone better. I bought my wife's ring about 4 years ago, I got the stone loose for about $2000, it's a 1.2C F color, SI1 clarity stone. Real purty and a hell of a bargain at $2k (I got it from a freind in the business). I had it set in a simple band and proposed, then we went out and got a custom wedding set made for her that has another .8 carats of diamonds in it. So I have abou $4k in it and it appraised for $10k. Not bad./forums/images/icons/smile.gif She's not materialistic and would have been happy with something alot smaller, but I do not like the idea of "upgrading" rings later on when we have more money, so I just saved my money and did it right in the first place. Anything much over a carat looks gaudy on an average sized woman's hand, IMHO. My wedding band is neither gold nor platinum, it's titanium. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

20. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Ironically, I just posted in the Feedback forum asking if I could post it up for sale. It's .89 carats, pear shaped, it may be white gold I'll have to check. I have the original papers from the jeweler for it. It's a really beautiful ring. It's in great shape so she won't know the difference. It was appraised at about $3,000. I did recently go to a jeweler to ask how much I should sell it for and he said not to accept anything below half price. So that's what I'd ask for it half price.(higher to the average Joe though. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) P.m. me if you need more info and I could prob get you a pic relatively soon.