Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engaging 4wd Queston

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by aaron1ta, Feb 20, 2003.

1. aaron1ta

aaron1ta Registered Member

i got stuck for the first time tonight, and i dont think my front axles were engaging and i dont know why. I have a 93 z71 and the last time i went the 4wd worked fine. Normally the little truck chasis on the floor that is around the shifter that lights up if 4wd engages comes on, but tonight it didnt. and it came on last time i put it in 4wd and i could tell that it was in 4wd. anyways, i was on my way out of the mud tonight, and i just sank (into some huge ruts), all the way to my frame. i new my rear tires were spinning but nothing was happening in the front. so i put it in 4lo and again nothing happened. luckly there was a couple other guys out there that were "playing" and one had a tow strap (which i am getting one for sure now) and the other had a newer z71 and he pulled me out. but the other guys were watching and said that my front tires never spun???? what could it be, why wont it engage.. thanks for any help.

aaron

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Prob the junky thermal actuator in the axle.Check to be sure the connection is good.If it is unscrew the switch and put in 4WD,it should extend in 30sec or so.Prob needs replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah i 2nd that but i have never had anyprobs with my 4wd not working. I got a buddy with a 94 Z71 and he was having the same prob you are but as chevys have been known to do it fixed itself and just started workin one night and has been from now on. I got a 25ft chain and wouldnt get a tow strap as we have broke them lots of times with smaller less powerful and way liter trucks and jeeps. once a Yota pullin a ranger, Jeep pullin a Jeep, and last a K1500 pullin a F150. You have anything done to the truck yet? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

4. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

just went through this problem a month ago......it worked and the next day it didnt. well ill bet its your actuator. if the light is not going on your not kicking in. when you fix it or have it fixed you will be replacing the broken with updated parts. i guess they have so many problems with them they have since changed it. i can tell you that after i got mine fixed i dont have that delay before the 4x4 kicks in. i pull that lever and that light goes on and its in. good luck hope this helps. oh buy the way 94' fullsize blazer.

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Fixed mine with SFA swap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. aaron1ta

aaron1ta Registered Member

thanks alot guys for the replies. i hope to get it fixed in the next few days. 89K1500Chevy- i was planning on gettin a chain anyways, cause the strap that we used to pull me out snapped, but i was planning on gettin a chain anyways. and i have a 3" body lift (on when i bought it), bfg 33x12.5, S&S Headers, and high flow cat dumped before rear axle.
    hoppy- what did you replace yours with to get it to work all the time was it one of those posi-lok thinks.

thanks guys,

aaron

7. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

i dont understand what your asking......no i dont have full-time 4x4 only when its engaged and i didnt do the work, that type of work doesnt get done in the driveway with 3 feet of snow around. im from the northeast, to be exact
    connecticut.

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

He is asking what you did to fix it so it worked when you wanted it to... He is asking if you used a 4x4 Posi Lock to replace the actuator.

But I'm with Zonk, I fixed mine with a HP Dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The first time mine went out I was in the bottom of powerline hills with several others on a rescue run{long,good,story about a Furd}.I unscrewed the actuator and used ele tape to attach a short socket on the end of it and screwed it back in place.Stayed locked till I got home,but,it beat being towed.We already had enuf to do on Ford,it's front axle housing was broke in half.Good camp fire story when we get to Tellico,Just remind me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Had a similar problem in my 95' 1 ton this morning. T-case is engaged but no light on the shifter and no torque to the front wheels. Some of the worst ice we've had down here in 5 or 6 years and I can't even enjoy it! I know my 89' K5 inside and out but I'm not at all familiar with the newer model diff's or the actuator that was mentioned as a possible problem. Anyone have a diagram or a little more detail on what I need to look for. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Steve

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Look for wires coming down on pass. side of diff,Follow these to screw in part in diff.Unhook wires and unscrew this part.Won't lose but a few drops of grease.On my 88 this is a thermal actuator.Plug wires back in and put shifter into 4WD poss.In about 30 secs. or so the end should extend aprox 1/2-3/4 in.If it doesn't the actuator is prob bad.Later models may have a motorized actuator,not shure when they changed.All this does is move a collar over to lock split axle together similar to a manual trans being put into gear.You can fasten a short socket to the end of this actuator and do the same thing.I used black ele tape to do this a couple of times.Amounts to same thing as locking front hubs.2WD & 4WD works normally,but,will rotate front shaft and t-case like leaving hubs locked with t-case in 2WD.Sometimes cold weather makes them slow to engage.Hope that makes sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif