Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Backfiring and not going into gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shupach, Nov 27, 2004.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well I've been home from college and decided to work on the truck. The engine is a built 400 sbc, everytime I run the engine I get a very loud backfire from the driver side header. I am running open headers, I have tried adjusting the timing and the idle but nothing really happens, and when the engine is under load the backfiring gets worse. How do i stop this from happenning? I think its the valves so I'm gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow.

Also I just installed a new torque convertor w/ a higher stall(1500-2500). And now the truck is barely moving, it may be losing power due to the backfire trouble, what all should I check out on the tranny and transfercase to make sure everything is up to par.

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

on the backfire issue, sounds like you might have the valves too tight

on the not moving part, you do realise thjat with the higher stall you need t o get the rpm up higher to move, right? is yes, check your trans fluid, warm it up, run it through the gears, in drive, rev it up to around 1500 rpm, then let it idle in park and check the fluid, top off and recheck, runniong it through the gears, ect., you might need to fill the converor still