Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine backfiring and stalled

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RICHSK5, Aug 12, 2003.

1. RICHSK5

RICHSK5 Registered Member

i have a '90 k5 tbi and i noticed that a couple of weeks ago it started backfiring out of the exxhaust and also the throttle body as well, then yesterday i was driving it for a bit and then i just heard a loud "POP" under the hood then it stalled on me and wouldn't turn over. any ideas? i haven't had a chance to actually check it out yet (my hood is sticking closed) but i was wondering what everyone's idea might be on what this sounds like. thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

maybe the motor blew up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

85k5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

motor go pop motor go boom...if it was backfiring through the throttle body AND exhaust...you got problems and shoulda checked it out before it got to this point....so unstick that hood and start diggin...as far as not turning over, is it cranking and not starting..or not cranking at all?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like maybe the timing chain wore out causing it to lose timing very badly and bent a valve or 2 causing it to back fire at both ends. If it won't turn over than it seized up, and is finished. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good time to start that badass 383 or even better 406 buildup. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

85k5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. RICHSK5

RICHSK5 Registered Member

thanks all for the responses. a couple of more details: when it started backfiring it did it very rarely, mostly when the engine was under a lot of load (ie, going up a steep hill on the freeway) or when i get on the gas to pass quickly then i would hear some popping noises under the hood and the tailpipe. it would miss/hesitate and then get going again. the funning this is i could rev the engine up at idle and it would not miss at all. btw, the engine cranks, i also have oil pressure but it just won't start. any ideas is greatly appreciated.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well it cranks but wont start, do you have spark and fuel?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fuel pump I bet. Pop the top off the air cleaner and have somebody turn the key. better yet the fuel pump is supose to run 5 second when you turn the key to on. lesten at the fuel tank and see if you can hear it when somebody clicks it to on. If you do hear it them watch the injectors while somebody is cranking and see if you have fuel.

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I had a 90 z71 that would crank over, but not fire also. Turned out to be the ignition control module.