Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine banging

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by jimmylake, Oct 25, 2002.

1. jimmylake

jimmylake Registered Member

just bought an 85 blazer cheap. looks good but lots of engine noise. my first thought was to stand back for fear a rod would come flying through the block at me, but on further listening, I'm not sure. It sounds to me, the banging is not your typical internal part. it bangs (knocks) pretty loud at idle and then quiets as rpms increase.

driving under load, it bangs and then quiets down as road speed is attainedd. engine also seems to have power. i would think that reving it up would cause whatever is banging to really bang to the point of flying parts.

Anybody have an idea on what could be banging?

If I am right about the banging being external to the engine, then I got a real steal. if not, i don't expect a used engine will set me back that much. on that thought, anyone in west michigan got a v6 laying around to sell?

thanks

jim

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Could be as simple as a manifold leak. Sometimes the seal breaks between the manifold and the exhaust and causes a banging noise.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure it's not a Diesel? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If the enging does go put a 3.4L out of a camaro in it. Those 2.8L's run forever but suck a$$ in the power department.