Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Basics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Sep 28, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Need some real basic info.

Checking for spark...what's the best way to do this? From the plugs to tracing back to the distributor and coil.

As far as checking for fuel I assume you start by checking if the plugs are wet, then see if the carb is filling, and then it's safe to assume you have a pump problem?

TIA, I am now officially too poor to pay anyone to touch my k5.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your not too poor your saving money, if I had a million I'd still do my own work. satisfaction and besides a penny saved is a penny earned. Checking spark i just touch the plug to the head and have someone crank it a little. Disconnect a bunch of boots so it won't fire though. Its not the recommended way but it works. AS far as checking connections. Pull wires and cap and check for corrosion or wear.

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

*Do NOT Really Do This!*

1) Remove spark plug.

2) Reinsert spark plug into plug wire boot.

3) Have little brother hold spark plug with right hand.

4) Have little brother hold radiator support with left hand.

5) Crank engine.

6) If little brother jumps out of his skin, you're getting spark.

7) If little brother just stands there looking like an idiot, you have an ignition problem.

This is how my big brother taught me what spark plugs do. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Paul

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ouch sounds painful!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I thought I had it bad growing up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Thats how my dad told me to check my plugs the first time. Yeeeeouch!!!! Then word got around how it felt funny, and I had neighborhood kids linning up to hold the wire!!

Anyways, to check for fuel, first make sure there is fuel in the tank, next take off the air cleaner and move the throttle back and forth while looking down throught the carb, if it shoots out gas, your good.

If that dosn't give you gas, disconnect the fuel line going into the carb and have someone crank over the engine just a little while you watch to see if it shoots out gas. If it does shoot out gas, your problem is in your carb or fuel filter (also int the carb). If gas dosn't come out, either your fuel pump is bad, or the line is clogged somewhere.

(Note, if your gas tank was empty, and you added gas, it will take a little more cranking to get the fuel up the the carb, so do that before you start testing for fuel at the carb.)