Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine block numbers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 19, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for an engine block for my 84 k5. Preferably 350 4 bolt. Anyway does anyone know what engine numbers to look for to find one directly interchangeable with all my other stuff from my stock 305? The ones I'm looking at aren't in their vehicles so I'm going to have to rely on numbers.
    Thanks.

2. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

By stuff swaping do you mean all the accesories and intake and heads and such?

All SBC's stuff pretty much interchanges. One peice rear main will be differnt from a 2 peice so the pans and crank are different in that respect. Other than that for a carbed app you can get just about any SBC, even a 400. The 4 bolt is only needed for higher HP applications. For a mild over stock build up a 2 will be fine. Make sure that before you buy a bare block that you paying cash is dependet if it passes a sonic check and getting maged.

www.mortec.com is a good sorce for casting #'s

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Just brackets, etc... I may end up going with a two bolt. The four bolts I've found are a little expensive. I'm not going for a lot of horsepower, just more than my 305 with new cam has.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

You can go to www.mortec.com to get info on the numbers to look for for blocks, cranks, heads.. etc

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Casting number 3970010 is a very common early '70s 350 block. All of them I have seen are high nickel, and most of them from truck applications are 4 bolt although they used the same casting for 2 bolt main applications. If you find a 3970010 casting with a block ID # that ends in three letters starting with "T", you are almost guaranteed a 4 bolt.

6. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You can go to www.mortec.com to get info on the numbers to look for for blocks, cranks, heads.. etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Great minds think alike /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif