Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine bogging down and backfireing???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jul 26, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got the truck running about a week ago but only drove it around my nieghborhood waiting on tags, got the tags and took it to the highway and all was well up to 70 mph, did good for a day or two then last night i was coming home and the engine loss power for a second then backfired and picked back up, it ran ok until l i got into it a little then more backfirnd and power loss, i got it home and called a friend who is USMC mech, he looked at it this morning, checked the distributer for mosture and the coil, we went to look at a spark plug and it broke off, got the rest out and it looked great, no build up or anything, so we came to the conclusion that because it had sat for 6 months the plugs needed to be changed and it should be good, changed the plugs and the fuel filter today and it was doing great, i even went out for some light wheeling and had no problems at all, so now im thinking its fixed, went out tonite and its the same thing, somebody give some tips, TIA

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

what carb is on it?? how much gas is in the tank and how old is it?? sounds to me like a fuel problem

NITRO

3. sapper

ooops forgot to mention its a 89 with TBI

4. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

mine was doing the same..i changed the filter, the plugs, the cap/rotor and it would get better then would get worse. my plug wires were bad.

5. sapper

my wires are less than a year old ???? I will give it a try though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif