Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine bogging under load. Any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Feb 2, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I was on my way home from our NCBD Frank Raines trip today and when we got to the gas station to gas up and air up, my truck started running like crap after.

It seems to idle find but when I put it in gear, (reverse, drive, over drive, 2nd, and first, it seems to bogg after 1500 rpms. I can get her up to about 50mph but that's it. We checked the distributer cap and rotor, it looked like crap so after limping home, I replaced them both. It idled better but still ran like crap. I'm gonna replace the wires now.

I've been having touble with my choke in the morning for a long time now. If that might help with anything. Also, my carb has been kinda acting up but not like this.

I guess, when I have more time, I'll need to check the spark plugs but what else??

86 K5
    350, 5.7L
    700r4, NP208
    TIA!!

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My truck does same thing every time I get gas at one certain store.By the time 1 tank runs through it the throttle is dead from half pedal on down and engine will actually go dead if I don't lift throttle.Haven't been able to figure out whats going on.Put gas from another station in and tank later prob goes away.Wifes car runs fine on it,but Yota does like ny truck. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check out your fuel pump. I am having that problem right now. I have had some of the symptomes of what you have. I get the runs like crap above 1500 RPM if my truck has been idling on a warm day. I am assuming that the manifold is getting to hot for the low fuel pressure and is trying to boil it.

4. MilpitasK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Check out your fuel pump. I am having that problem right now. I have had some of the symptomes of what you have. I get the runs like crap above 1500 RPM

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess that's I'm gonna have to do next b/c cap, rotor, and wires didn't do the trick. I think first, I'm gonna do the fuel filter though. Post up if you figure it out and I'll do the same.
    Thanks!
    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

change the fuel filter and check it for water probably would not be a bad idea to clean your carb also

6. unsane

unsane Guest

700r4 + wont go over 50 = 3rd and 4th gears are toasted.
    Thats what happened to me anyway.

7. MilpitasK5

3rd and 4th gears are toasted

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    When this happened to you, would you be able to get high RPMs? Mine are bogging at about 1500.
    I was waiting for that one! I'm gonna cross my fingers that my tranny isn't the prob!! I'm about to change my fuel pump right now.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

TRy the fuel filter. Every 10k. I waited 30k, and guess what happeend? After an offroad trip, I guess more of the sediment on the bottom of the tank moved around, got sucked in, *wee*, truck had problems whenever I tried to gas it. Sometimes, it even just died.

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fuel filter is a good idea.
    Fuel pump could be another.
    I'd check all the fuel lines for kinks or clogs which would cause fuel starvation.
    Pull out all the spark plugs and keep them in order and compare them... Make sure they all look about the same.
    You can check the resistance of yer spark plug wires with an ohm meter.
    When my truck started running like crap at frank raines thats what i did, as well as take the carb off the truck and take it apart cleaning it all out with carb cleaner and blowing compressed air.

How does it idle? Does it run like crap sitting at a stop or only above 1500 rpms?

You could hook up an oscilliscope to your engine to pretty much eliminate your ignition system as the cause of your problems.

Good luck.

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Don't rule out gas.I changed filter,replaced pump,several other things and finally solved prob by not buying gas at one store.Don't know why,but,it worked. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MilpitasK5

Guess I'm gonna have to do the spark plug deal. Fuel pump and filter were no go. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I also hear that my cats might be clogged so I unbolted one side (true duals) and went but no difference. I'm gonna do the other side tomorrow 'cause it's getting late.

I was told that I shouldn't rule out my tranny /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif either.
    When my truck started running like crap at frank raines thats what i did, as well as take the carb off the truck and take it apart cleaning it all out with carb cleaner and blowing compressed air.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mad props for bustin' that out bro! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wish I could have watched!
    I don't think I'll be taking my carb apart dude. I'm not that mechanically inclined, plus, my carb will probably look much different than yours!!
    How does it idle? Does it run like crap sitting at a stop or only above 1500 rpms?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It idles fine. Just when i get on the gas no matter what gear I'm in (even reverse) it boggs when it's about to hit 1500rpms.
    Thanks for the input and suggestions.
    You could hook up an oscilliscope to your engine to pretty much eliminate your ignition system as the cause of your problems

[/ QUOTE ]
    How do I go about by doing this?? And what all do I need to do it.

12. Ryan B.

I've got an oscilliscope at my dad's house i hook up to the engine just to see whats going on with the sparks for each cylinder.
    It makes it a lot easier to see if something is going on with yer ignition, and isolate problems in just one cylinder.

Does this happen in neutral or park when you rev it up to 1500 rpms or only when its in gear getting put under load?

Gimmie a holler if ya need some help bro. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. MilpitasK5

Does this happen in neutral or park when you rev it up to 1500 rpms or only when its in gear getting put under load?

[/ QUOTE ]
    She idles fine in park and neutral. Even when I rev it up. I can rev it up just as normal but it's only in gear when it happens. All gears including reverse.

Gimmie a holler if ya need some help bro.

[/ QUOTE ] I'll probably be hollerin' soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just need to find some time this week or week end. I don't have class tomorrow night after work if your not busy. I'm not sure what I got goin' on so I'll call you up and let you know. If I got time to mess with the rig, I'll check if you got time.
    Thanks !!

14. Ryan B.

I don't like hearing that it doesn't have any problems in neutral or park... only in gear.
    When i had an edelbrock carb on my truck it did some similar stuff to what yer describing... It was my carb crapping out on me.
    Ya can't rule out the tranny either because it only happens in gear, and not in neutral or park. That scares me a little.

I got nightschool mon-thur...
    Well friday or the weekend would probally be best for me.

15. MilpitasK5

I can't really rule anything out except for the cheap/minor things that I changed. I've already been fearing the tranny deal but I have a plan for that if it is. If it's the carb, I guess I'll have to yank it and get it rebuilt.
    Well friday or the weekend would probally be best for me.

[/ QUOTE ] Coolio!