Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine bogs, running on 7 cylinders.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jan 1, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, i'm going to see if the cylinder that's not firing is getting a spark first, then pull the valve cover. Anyway, the engine starts to choke sometimes with any more than partial throttle, but doesn't do it in lower gears. could this be a carb problem? it doesn't always do it. should i pull the valve cover and check for broken rockers/pushrods/valves or is there something else i should check first? sorry, it's hard to explain my problem. thanks guys.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like a valve problem to me. I had a burned intake valve and my truck would only cough through the carb when I got on it enough to open the secondaries.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Before you remove the valve covers do a compression Check on all the cylinders

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i might have to do the valve covers first, because if there was acompression problem i don't have the tools to check for it and whatever is causing it will require valve cover removal to fix. and possibly head removal