Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine break in...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by jekbrown, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I bought my wife a new '06 Aveo. We want to drive this thing for as long as possible. The manual says change the oil every 3k. After doing some research on the net, I think I'm gonna drive it for 500 miles, varying speed at times just like the manual says, and then change the oil... replacing it with the "cheap stuff". After 3000 miles total (2500 after that first change) I'm going to drain it and start running full synthetic. I'm thinking about Amsoil (bling $$$$$$) but others could work too.

what do you guys do to break in a rig? I really want to maximize long term reliability as much as I can...

j

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

like the book says easy for the 1st 500 miles, no zero to 80mph I-5 on ramps

if there's a tach watch it to make sure it isn't bogged in top gear or over rev'd at any time.

amsoil is great, the price maybe more but you can go i think 7K between changes.

3. jekbrown

yeah, I wonder about warranty issues though. Manual says change it every X number of miles... if I don't, chevy will prolly tell me to 'pound sand' if I try to excersize my warranty for some reason. Maybe I should go with a cheaper full synthetic... lol!

j

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mobile 1 is good.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You would think they would break the engines in before the sell the vehicles.

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

x2 I use mobil 1 also

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i fully stand behind mobil one...a great oil. i had a tbi 350 with 330,00 miles on it, no smoke or nothing (just typical chevy valves seals) a true testiment to mobil 1 and regular maintaiannce

8. jekbrown

cool. I've been doing some web research, and it seems that big jugs at Wally World at the best deal in Mobil 1 as far as prices go. Anyone know of a better/cheaper way to get it? lemme know!

Also, I know its been covered before, but what kinda filter do you guys run? I remember there was a guy who had an awesome oil-filter comparison/research project where he rated a whole bunch of them. We don't need supa-bling-bling (and the cost!) just a filter that isn't a POS or too spendy.

j

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

wix or hastings (same company)

10. jekbrown

where do you tend to find them? are there different models of Wix or....? Fram has like 3 lines of oil filters... yeah I know, all poop. Point is, some manufactures have more than 1 line... ;)

j

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i think they only have one grade, alteast by thier number system they don't show diferent "grades". i like the k&n ones too. spendy but they go 5k between changes as well. I use to know everyones micron filtration numbers but it's been too long.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Shop out in Greatna we deal with uses the K&N oil filters. Guy claims over 10,000 miles on full synthic oil with K&N oil filter in his personal vehicle.

13. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

14. jekbrown

cool, there is a dealer not very far from me... thats cool. :thumb: Guess that will be the combo. It'd be soooo nice if I could get this little engine past 200,000 miles. :thumb:

j

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wix are a top notch filter.. IIRC they where in the top 3 on that list... It's all I run...

IIRC, the Napa gold series are Wix too... and yeah, Mobil 1 is good stuff...

16. jekbrown

napa gold eh? :thinking: There is a Napa that is MUCH closer to me than the local Baxters (nearest Wix-listed dealer...). Looks like more research is in order!

j

17. jekbrown

I did more online research and it appears that Carquest "blue label" is also the same filter as the Wix / Napa Gold. I have a carquest purdy close to me... and I bet they cost less than a Napa one. Napa pretty much charges more than any other normal parts store for the same parts. ;)

j

18. 6.2K5Blazer

6.2K5Blazer Registered Member

I am in the same boat. I am getting a new job which will double my commute from 30 miles/day to 60 miles/day and I will no longer be able to carpool with the wife (because my wife is also my best friend that sucks). So we treaded in the Dodge Stratus with a manual (manuals + Seattle = burned clutch and I baby my vehicles) for a Chevy Malibu Maxx.

We test drove 9 vehicles and liked the Maxx best. We also get GMS pricing which helped keep the negotiation down to a minimum :-D

My plan is change the oil and filter at 500 miles and use a Wix filter and Mobile 1. I have had good luck with that combo, I use Mobile 1 in the gassers and Rottela T in the diesels and Wix at every opportunity. I change the oil in the diesels every 3K in the Aztek every 5K and will change the oil I the Maxx when it tells me too until the warranty runs out, then every 5k.

I have a fleet.
    81 GMC short box w/350 olds diesel (for the Home Depot runs)
    86 Chevy Blazer W/6.2L diesel (for playin’ in the mud and cursing around topless)
    02 Pontiac Aztek (wife’s commuter)
    06 Chevy Malibu Maxx (my commuter)

19. jekbrown

yeah, I think Wix + Mobil 1 is the combo for me. There is better chiat you can buy... but it costs a hell of a lot more too.

My wife doesn't drive toooo many miles, but her old car got like 14mpg, so she will be saving lots on gas. I want to get a Geo Metro Xfi and strip it (even more than it is from the factory) and make that my DD. Factory it got 52mpg... I bet I can eek out 55. :thumb: There is one in the Oregonian right now... I'm just not ready to buy. :(

j

20. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

jek , I think after you break it in by the book you should run amsoil 10/30 with a good filter ( I ues k&n ) . I go 3500 miles and change the filter and I dump the oil and filter at 7000 miles . I also use a filter mag on the oil filter . Protect your investment and use the best :D . Good luck !