Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Break in

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ABO, Aug 5, 2002.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

I'm almost ready to turn over the 455 that I finally finished building and installing, I was reading some books about priming it. Now I got that part covered but there was a mention of an EOS(engine oil supplement) that I should add to the oil. I went to my local GM parts place and the EOS that was found was actually an assembly lube which stated not to add it to oil. There was nothing else listed as an EOS. Does anyone know of any type of additive that I should add? Also anyone recomend any specific brand or weight of oil to use while I break in the cam? Thanks

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i know when i started my new motor my mechanic came over to hear it run, and he didnt suggest anything more than just priming the motor by spinning the oil pump for a few minutes..
    definately dont use assembly lube, just not a good idea, but i'm sure you know that, he just said to change the oil after the first hour of break in, gets all the excess assembly lube out, and hes a very trustworthy mechanic...
    never heard of or used the oil additive, dont know if its really necessary, but i understand taking as many precautions as possible when starting a new engine for the first time