Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine build 2.... Help me chose the right cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Oct 23, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Built my engine last year, and am not very satisfied with the results. So, thinking about a new cam. (This is in a 350 bored .40 over, stock heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, roller tip rockers (1.5 ratio.) I am looking for a cam that will give me more power. I am trying to build all of my power down as low as I can.

I currently have the following cam:

Crane grind- boxed for mass sell
    number 204214050

420/443 lift
    260/270 duration
    112 centerline

So, I am looking at a couple different opinion's.
    A friend mentioned I should be looking at the following numbers.
    475/485 lift
    270/285 duration
    112 centerline

I had another buddy tell me to look at a solid cam. I don't know much about solid cams.

So, what cam's would you recommend for an off road only truck, and why?
    Thanks for you help.

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you dont want a solid cam.unless you want to adjust the valve lash on a regular basis

3. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

actually sled, your statement isnt all that true, If your needing to adjust a solid cam on regular basis every few weeks like your talking about you have problems.. It used to be in the old chevys and stuff you would half to becuase they didnt have these things called poly locs.. now that you have a actual lock on your rockers keeping the nuts from vibrating loose you shouldnt hafta adjust your valves but maybe once every few monthes.. i have a comp 294S in my 377 small block a few years back and went 8 monthes of every day driving without touching it.. When we did double check them they were only .001-,002 Thou off...The guy helping me also used to do the left head and left tire rub for a High end Nitro NHRA Top fuel team, so i know they were done right... Just my .02 cents..

ODO, going with something that has more duration is gonna get rid of that torque down low and move it up in the powerband.. i would recommend one of the Comp 4x4 grinds as ive had great luck with them in the past... Nate

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I don't think a cam change is going to fix whatever problem you are having. What carb are you running?

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The 475/485 cam would be a better choice for the edelbrock RPM you are running.

I think you might be better off with a smaller comp extreme 4x4 cam and a standard intake, maybe the new eps. Maybe if you could, swap to 1.6 rockers with that small cam, get the lift up, but keep the duration low for good vacuum and low rpm torque.

I'd probably run this one or the one smaller than it:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D12%2D235%2D2&N=700+4294925232+400114+4294887637+4294908216+4294887540+115&autoview=sku

6. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you might wanna buy a program you can get online called desk top dyno...then you can line all your specs up and choose the cam you want..its like 30 bucks i think and worth it..i use it

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you want power down low, your RPM intake isnt going to deliver. might also want to look into some better heads, S/R Torquers, and Vortecs come to mind. both produce good low end. if you're running a QJet, that should be ok, but anything else stick to around 600cfm.

also, what are you running for exhaust?

8. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I actually mis-spoke, I do not have the RPM intake, just the Performer, from idle to 5500. Just picked it up NIB, and better yet cheeeeap... so I figured I could give it a try.

I am running true duals in 2 1/2 inch pipes with Flowtech headers, dumping into turbo style mufflers. I was really hoping not to have to buy new heads. I had to buy new ones when I rebuilt the engine, which was under 1500 miles ago.

I have been running a Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM and am rebuilding a Qjet now to put on it.

Ryan and Nate, I will sent a message to Comp on those 4x4 cams. Thanks for the recommendation.
    twoslo.... I put a bid in on that program. I may be sending you a message if I can't figure it out.

I have been kicking myself for not building a 383. Built it before I was too indoctrined by all of you bad influences on here. :D Truthfully, since the last build (my first) I have been wanting to do another engine. That was a lot of fun putting an engine together. Since Sledheadak won't give me his supercharger, I may have to build a 383 here quick.