Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine build. Opinions???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5. Would like to build a new engine w/ 400+ hp. Obviously the stock TBI just won't do. I need opinions on the best induction system to use. Money is an object so I'm not really interested in a $3000+ mulitport system. Although, I have looked at the Howell Multiport system for $1200. Opinions????

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have a bored tbi 355 with moly rings, 350 hp cam, 10:1 flat tops, camel hump heads, flowtech headers, 3" exhaust, a k&n, holley 670 cfm tbi, holley projection intake manifold, accel high pressure fuel pump, and flowtech y pipe. Custom chip soon. desktop dyno says it will make over 400 hp and over 425 ftlbs.

Holley says the 670 cfm 2bbl tbi only supports 275 hp but mostly because they want you to spend a grand on a four barrel system or mpi. The hp restriction is because the computer doesn't have the fuel map for that much hp. if you get a custom chip and a high pressure fuel pump to fit your cam, heads, exhaust, intake, tbi, and estimated hp you will have no worries. All that will support a lot more than 275 and i know guys who bolted them to hot 383's and made serious power. The injector size to hp formula says the 85 pph injectors that come in the 2bbl will support 360 hp at 13 psi. I'm running a 45 psi pump, holley intake, cam, higher comp, bigger heads, and freer filter and exhaust. that is y the tbi holley says only supports 275 hp will support over 400 hp if you massage your setup.

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Have you ever considered swapping in an lt1, ls1, or a 6.0 vortec motor? For not much more if not a little less, you can swap in a late model fuel injected motor which have the obvious benefits. Drop me a line if you are interested and want to hear more about it, since this is what I specialize in we might be able to work something out.

Remington