Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Builder in Arizona

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sjvcon, Feb 11, 2004.

1. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

I am looking to get a new engine for my K-20 Subruban. It has a 350 with 150K tired miles. I have been thinking about a crate motor HT383 from Chevy. That or a big block, but I worry about the smog laws in Maricopa County, and what the swap would do to my emissions. Before I do the deed, does anyone know a good wrench in Arizona that could build me a high torque 383 for under $4,000?? And does anyone think I'm being a wimp about the big block (other than the cash difference I guess)???

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As long as it's built right with emissions in mind, like do not get too radical with the cam and use your emission legal intake, then as long as it blows clean air, or the legal limit, you will not have a problem with emissions testing. all they are going to check is that all necessary emission equipment is hooked and working and the levels of gasses coming out of the tailpipe. You will be fine. I live here and heve messed with several engines over the years and fought with the emissions people, so i have been told several times what i needed and figured out what i didn't need. Good luck and get ya a good motor. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I don't know about the big block though, those might blow alittle more than a 350 or that 383 your talkin about. Can't help ya on that motor.

3. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Not in AZ., but across N.M. west of El Paso in Vinton. Very good engine builder, builds lots of engine's for Drag racers from there to Phoenix and beyond. Will work with you to customize whatever you need. Outstanding reputation. Has a really cool flow bench. Lew's 915-886-5425