Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Builders in Phoenix Area

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by sjvcon, Jul 15, 2004.

1. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Now that I have my axle donor truck, I am starting to focus on the engine so that I can get this project off the ground. Anyone know of a reasonably priced builder in the Phoenix area. I know about Beck ... their Pro Offroad engine is like $6500. I could get a zz383 from Chevy for about $2K less, and probably have similar performance. Anyone hear anything about Performance Chevy Products? How about Desert Performance / Cylinderhead? Other suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I bought a couple pieces fro PCP on Whitton years ago, it was ok then . I haven't thought about them in a long time . They still advertise in Super Chevy I think /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

what are your goals for the motor....?!

I know of a local guy who has a lot of experience and does it on the side. He's an old drag racer who knows his stuff.... I had him build the 454 in my FunBuggy.

If you don't wanna get real wild... you can't beat a "crate motor" for cost.

Marv

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

As marv said the crate motor's are great in the cost department. They are also good for reliability and warranty too.

5. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

What I am trying to do is get really good torque numbers with decent horsepower too, at the same time I need to be conscious of the smog requirements. I don't want to get too wild with anything. Definitely want reliability. I was starting to think about that zz383, but have some doubts about the cam lift and duration. Also, I am not sure that GM's Fast Burn Heads have the heat riser that is required for my 'Burb. Seems there are all kinds of "deals" on ebay, but I am a little leary of them. Some seem awfully cheap when compared to the crates. Others are geared more toward a hotrod application. I have thought about getting a shortblock, but I am a little concerned about getting the right combination for cam, lifters, lifter rods, rockers, etc. Not to mention the multiple choice on heads. I thought maybe a good local shop would be the best bet. Or just a really good builder.

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Give Paul (he is the one that looks like Greg Allman) at North Mountain Machine Shop a call 602.870.1616. I was transferred to that store for awhile (in the parts dept, not the machine shop) and was VERY impressed with the quality of work they put out. Several of their customers stopped by with healthy sounding motors that you could tell get the snot flogged out of them on a regular basis and still hold together. It is a very clean shop and the guys there really know what they are doing. I don't know how they compare price-wise to other shops, but whatever it is I would say it is worth it. I know of several machine shops in this area, but this is the one I would use for machine work if I was in the market. One of my customers paid up for a 468 Chevy built by Beck and when all was said and done he wished he had done the work himself.

7. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Thanks for the information guys. I talked to the guy at North Mountain Machine ... he thinks I am wasting my time with a small block. He is pushing the Big Block swap. Only thing that has me concerned is the smog check after I do that. A few guys have told me it would pass. I am just a little leary. I think there are a few local guys who have done this without issue. Maybe I should just quit being a chicken and do it.

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A big-block is a legal swap into your truck because a big-block was available in a 3/4 ton Suburban in your year (only in a 2wd, but that is enough to make it legal for any 3/4 ton 2x or 4x). In '79 there were few emission devices on the high GVW trucks. Yours probably only has a PCV valve. Some trucks with manual trans got air/smog pumps but not all. Most of these trucks didn't even have a charcoal canister. If your truck has some/none of this, just keep it intact and roll it on through the inspection station. I've gotten some pretty weird stuff through without issues. If you make it look right, and it passes the dreaded exhaust test your mods won't be noticed anyways.
    As far as big vs. small blocks go, the difference in mileage will probably be relatively minimal, but having the stones of a big-block on tap is enough to give a person the warm fuzzies when pulling a grade or when one of those Hoondas with the big exhaust tries to put the moves on the old hooptie Suburban and they get shut down in a most cruel grotesque fashion /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. A well built 350 will move that tank of a truck with some authority, but a big-block will do it effortlessly and last longer because you aren't working it as hard.
    If worse comes to worse, I know for a fact a Cummins will fit in there, but that's another story.......
    Good luck.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not for nuthin but I've been told that as long as the motor is newer than the vehicle all is well. Don't know if that's true but is what I heard.