Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine buildup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Jul 16, 2003.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Well guys im getting tired of the little civics and such around here. I have decided to build up a 350 in my 87. Now my question is what can I do and not upset the computer and TBI. I want a good lopey idle. I have a 350 out of a 95 truck will this be the vortec heads and how can I tell if it is. I don't know what I can and can't do with a computer so help me out.

2. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can always bore it out throw in a bigger camshaft, supercharge it, high compression pistons, new exhuast, new intake, k and n filter, and those tornado things will give you a little extra umpf or so they say. As for the computer i have no idea what to do about that look at the links page post at the begining of the post listings if you go in there i know they have computer links
    good luck with the build up, and your right we need to show the imports what american automotive muscle is made of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. blazingboy

Yeah that is what I was thinkin guess I could just sell off the TBI and put a holley or something on it. That way the intake manifold would be a little cheaper too. Instead of using vortec heads. I might go with World Products sportsman II.

4. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ya man that sounds like a pretty decent idea in my opinion, im not an engine guru in the least bit but it sounds like a good idea, go for it and tell us what happens

5. blazingboy

Remember rice will give you gas but will not build muscle.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

that TBI setup of yours is a pretty good system. I wouldn't chuck it just yet, there is a reason that your motor came factory with 210HP compared to an 86' that had 165HP.The new roller cam had a part but it is the fuel injection that makes the difference. I would build that 95' vortech block with a healthy cam like a comp 268 roller which has a nice lobey sound but also delivers lots of low end, keep those vortech heads because they flow a lot better than you think plus they will bolt to your tbi manifold, some good pistons with a compression around 9:1 up to 9:5, headers, and an aluminum intake. As it goes for the computer you will have to order a custom chip with your engine specs to match the motor characteristics because the factory settings are for a stock 350. I would consider stepping up to multi point injection which is very easy to do. edelbrock offers a kit for your app.for around $750 I think,and it includes a free chip. I built a very nice 406 smallblock for my 85k5 and I am kicking myself for slapping on an edelbrock carburetor( I am currently saving up for the holley commander multipoint fuel inj. kit). I am pushing over 400hp with basically what I described above. The only difference is a 400 generates more torque than a 350. Hope this helps you out with your civic infestation problem. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

85K5 3/4 ton,14bolt/10bolt,9" lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. blazingboy

Well the thing is I don't know if it has vortech heads or not and I don't think its a roller cam but I can change that.

8. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    you can always bore it out throw in a bigger camshaft, supercharge it , high compression pistons , new exhuast, new intake, k and n filter, and those tornado things will give you a little extra umpf

[/ QUOTE ]

BOLD ITEMS DO NOT GO TOGETHER.

9. rjfguitar

Like the guy above said you can't put high compression pistons and a blower together because it WILL blow up!Forced injection doesn't like getting compressed to tight.
    YOU HAVE VORTECH HEADS! it came out of a 95' so it is a vortech motor with a roller cam. If this motor doesn't have a roller and vortechs then it didn't come out of a 95'. your 87's motor has a roller cam also along with the e-tech heads which have the same bolt pattern as the vortechs. The valve cover bolts should be in the middle of the cover on both engines. If they are on the sides then you have an 86' and earlyer block.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I also call BS. Not only is a '95 a TBI motor with a flat tappet cam if it came from a truck, Vortec is spelled just that way V-O-R-T-E-C. Vortech is a supercharger manufacturing company.

12. blazingboy

Alright then guys what should I do as far as heads and which cam and intake. Also should I go with TBI or carburator. Sorry about all the questions kinda new at all this engine stuff.

13. dyeager535

I say keep the TBI and go Vortec heads. You have to burn some money to do it, but the heads alone are worth a fair amount of HP, are re-useable on another engine if you decide to build one up later, and won't affect the ECM nearly as much as a cam swap.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I say keep the TBI, but go with a set of aftermarket heads. The intake is expensive to go with Vortecs and by the time you buy that, you could have got into a set of World Products or Dart heads and just bolt a much cheaper aftermarket intake to them.

And forget the lopey idle. It's not happening with TBI. It will make your computer go insane.

15. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Take a stroll over to chevytalk.org , post your engine question in the performance section these guys know their stuff!! Far as Ive researched vortecs all were 96 or later and the intake bolt patern is different than any other. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. dyeager535

Ok, I'll rephrase. Go with some Vortecs or aftermarket equivalents /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are cheaper aftermarket heads out there that are supposed to perform as well or better. The "stock" bolt pattern for the intake will be a huge selling point.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My point exactly. That's why I made mention of it.

That's what this site is all about. Throwing some different ideas into the pot.

18. blazingboy

Well guys looked at the block today looks pretty good now what to do so many decisions.Also what should I buy first cause this buildup is gonna take awhile since money is a slight problem. Another question is should I have it bored out the walls look fine.

19. rjfguitar

Keep the TBI and go with the vortec heads if you find a set. I would still go with the big cam because if you go with the stock lift cam it will cost you a lot of horspower.It is just a matter of popping in a new chip to reprogram the ECU for your new cam. I forgot that the cars were the only vehicles with the vortec motors it's 96' and up on the pickups. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Oh and excuse me for not spelling vortec right, talk about being anal about things, geeze. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

85K5 3/4ton, 14bolt/10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4

20. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im doin the same thing with my '87. but does no one here support the 383 idea, thats what im planning, and no mean to steal your post, but can i just port my heads and get by, and how much and what are these ECU computer jiggers ya'll are talkin about???