Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine buliding 101

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PineyPower, Sep 11, 2002.

1. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

Ok i`m thinking of getting a 400 block and was going to build it from the ground up if anyone one had any suggestions of what kind of cam ,intake,ect. to use feel free to give me some ideas.Also when lookin for a 400 block what should i look for as far as the crank ,heads,price, ect.

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

You may want to do a search, I know I just read a post a few days ago about someone stroking the 400 or something to that effect. That may give you the info you need. I know someone on this site has done just that and apparently it was quite the beast when they were done. I'll see if I can find it for ya.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I can't help too much with your questions on intake, cam, etc. But, one thing to look for is warping of any kind. Have a machine shop check the surfaces - inside the cylinders too for correct tolerances. 400's can overheat and the cylinders can get out of shape because the design of the 400 block doesn't allow for a coolant passage to fit between the cylinders. Other than that, I suggest you get a book about building a small block. Also, prep your bank account because building a 400 is more expensive than your average small block. Basically because less parts are available.
    In the end, you should be happy with your strong, torquey small block.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Stroke a 400 post This was the post about that 400 stroker motor. hope it helps.
    Eric

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As to cam, exhaust, etc., you are really going to have to make that call yourself. Sit down, decide if you want to be able to go 150MPH, or if you want to rip stumps out of the ground.

For me, there is no in-between. Car is for going fast, truck needs to be able to pull its weight and then some.

Come up with some idea of intended usage, and specs of the truck (stock tire size? Manual or auto? etc) and we might be able to give you some ideas. If this is for the 2wd truck, and its all street with no towing (or very little, nothing regular) I'd assume you are interested in either good economy with some performance, or you just want to go fast, regardless of economy : )

6. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

thanks guys by the way it for my 83 blazer 6in lift 35in tire 3 speed w/ granny.I`ll really want it too lift the front wheels off the ground (lol)so let me know what u guys think..