Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Change time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MrBob, Dec 28, 2000.

1. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

OK someone help me here. I have a '86 K5 with a 305 need new engine now. I have been told that a 350 would need new sheet metal (i.e timeing cover oil pan etc.) and that the exchange would be easier by just putting another 305 in the truck. ''Will a 350 exchange out??? I don't have vortex heads just run of the mill heads. Will the intake manifold off the 305 fit on the 350 and will the covers (valve, oil pan and etc. fit back on the 350 from the 305.? I'm trying to do this for a minimal $ I can get the engines at 1129$ with a 4 yr 100,000 mile warranty with gaskets and all. I need to order the engine today if anyone can answer me todya I'd appreciate it. Either here or by E-mail to <midget@medmail.com>

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

[​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

All the sheet metal is the same on you 305 as is on a 350... Most small blocks are the same. The only time you will run into a few differences is with the oil pan dipstick tube and the valve cover withthe center bolts.

Just make sure the engine you are buying has the dip stick tube on the same side as the engine coming out and what valve cover mounts you have(being that yours is an '85, then you should have the old style two bolt on each side of the cover) and that will be it.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

These engines are externally the same with the exception of whether you have a one or 2-piece rear main seal. If you're going to a different seal type(I think '85 and earlier have two piece) then you might need a different oil pan, but as fas as i know, everything else should swap striaght over. If it doesn't you can always get any of this stuff cheap at salvage yards.

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

The sqap to 305 to 350 is basically the same, they are both the same physical size, and all the bolt on components are the same, the key(like Emmit suggested), is to make sure the 305 being replaced looks like the 350 that is replacing it. center bolt valve cover to center bolt valve cover, etc..........js

5. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

thansk for the quick reply I don't think I could have gotten faster responce if I'd have had you phone numbers. My son works at a GMC dealer as a "Handy Guy" he's 17 and they have him delivering parts and doing lot work. they said the same thing you guys did and the Auto parts store said it would be a problem. I appreciate your input. I'll try toi stop the 305 and get the 350 ordered. If I can't stop the order have I made any terrible mistakes here? I would think that the 350 wiould be most desireable but the 305 would be just fine if I can't stop the order. Opinions?

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]

6. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Boy...I didn't realize my typing sucked that bad...Sorry guys.

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 350 is definitely more 'desirable'. If you can get them to give you a 350 do it!

My typing sucks too, I just use the "preview post" feature to clean it up before I let anyone see it.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The vast superiority of the 350 (in all ways, parts availability, torque, hp) far outweighs the 305. The 305 was designed from the get go to be a V8 capable of meeting stringent emissions requirements, at the expense of any power. The heads SUCK for one thing. However, for the most part, in a daily driven truck, a 305 will be fine. My 305 was still running great when I sold it at over 130,000 miles. It just had no power. I wouldn't feel ripped off if you can't cancel the 305 order, but if you can, hop on a 350!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

9. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

thanks guys. I've called the parts dealer and he is going to call the factory to see if the 305 has been sent. If it has no big deal, I don't 4 wheel anyway ( I know you guys shiver when I say that) but I jsut don't have any time for that one. i ride a big harley type bike and I want the truck to be able to haul a trailer with two or three bikes and get me to and from the mountians in Western NC and to the coast. i don't do tractor pulls and stuff so I guess if the 305 is what I ordered and can't interrupt the order then I'll live.

Thanks so much for opinions. I do want to restore this thing to a really nice truck and want to do whats best within my wallets means

Bob

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

About the dip stick, when I ordered a new 350 for my old truck from the local chevy dealer, the engine was a universal one. It had a spot for the dipstick on both sides of the engine. Just thought I'd throw that in.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

11. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

well....we're stuck with the 305...the parts jobber has it sitting on his dock today and I'm just gonna go with it. The guys is a good friend of mine and I may need a BIG favor one day so I don't wanna put him out over this. If the engine hadn't left the factory yet then I'd stop it but I'm not gonna make him send it back for another. I have a 4 cylinder in my Toyota 4 Runner that does all i need and I am just gonna assume that the 305 will do the same for me. Again I'm no big 4 wheeler of=r off the road guy and i don't need to pull my buddies out of the mud and stuff so the 305 will do me, I think.

Thanks for everyones input....I am indeed greatful for your opinions.

Red Springs, N.C.

[​IMG]