Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine chocks - help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, May 31, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

hi guys,

i have just changed both the torque converter (had problems with it) and the carb as the one i had was really old and in a bad condition..

the engine i have is a big block 454, the carb i installed is like the one i remvoed a roachster q-jet carb (i know its a cheap one)..

i dont have a probelm now while the car is idle or running as it goes really smooth... but i wanted to give it a throttle to see its power now.. and when i did then the engine choked and was like it was about to go off... then when i parked the truck and pressed the gas for a few times black smock appeared from the exsuhst....

is this normal when a carb is changed?? or is there a problem??

thanks

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. aknight_sa

engine stalls

any replies guys??

i think the problem happens when its transfering gears while i give the engine a full throtle..

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

when i first start my motor, if its not warmed up it chokes... the black smoke could mean that your running rich.

4. aknight_sa

what about when i gave it the gas on the street.. it just stalled when it was reaching around 60-80 km/h

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Did you set-up the carb or just bolt it on and go? Adjusting the air screws and when the secondaries open makes a big difference in performance!

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'm no carb expert, but it sounds like you're running really rich and pretty much flooding it when you put the foot into it. i'd say grab an air/fuel ratio gauge. i have one on one of my trucks. nice little item to have. and it nothing else, it looks pretty cool.

7. aknight_sa

i had a mechanic install it for me.. he says that he did adjust it.. but it seems that he didnt do a good job at it.. today i took a ride in it... and i noticed that the problem happens when i have the AC on... also, when the transmission goes into 3rd gear it becomes weak so i have to give it more gas!

also, the engine went off on me twice while slowing down at a traffic light, and it hardly went back on.. plus tons of black smoke was comming out..

8. aknight_sa

can you please guide me or tell me where to find an explanation on the net on how to to adjust the carb... i am still new to this stuff and i dont know what all of those hoses go and dont even know where the adjustment screws are...

please be patient with me... i do want to do this stuff myself..

thanks