Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyman562, Nov 7, 2004.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

I am going to start building a motor for my truck. I can't decide between a 383 stroker or a 454 big-block. I have a running 400 SB in my garage. I am looking for the most torque I can get. Is a stroker that much better on gas mialge than a big-block? What about cost? Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A Big Block may cost alittle more too build, but once you've had one, everything else feels under powered. The next K5 I build will have a Big Block !!!!!

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can't chose either a stroker , or a Big Block and worry about cost . Either one will cost you . 400 SB with good heads ( steam holes drilled ) , good cooling , and good induction/exhaust will be allright if you ask me . Of course if money is NO object I'd do the stroker because there lighter physically , and more compact dimensions /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My buddy's father is an engine builder, and he always says it's better to go with a big block. His reasoning was that a 454 would perform just as well as a 383, and you'd be stressing a 454 much less.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Car Craft just did a comparo between a 454BB and a 454SB-the small block made more hp and torque-I guessed wrong on that winner!

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Big Block stroker /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

If gas cost is not a problem I would go with a 454. Cost a lot less to make torque from a 454 than it does to make it from a stroker small block.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is always more torque with extra cubic inches . There are many variables between those motors , but I'd be willing to bet that when two engines are the same cubic inches , the one that has a lighter rotating assembly will make more power and torque /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There is always more torque with extra cubic inches . There are many variables between those motors , but I'd be willing to bet that when two engines are the same cubic inches , the one that has a lighter rotating assembly will make more power and torque /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I would think the stroked small block wouldn't last as long though. Relieabilty is a issue for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I'm actually getting better gas mileage when I swapped out the 350 for a 454. In the small blocks you'll have to put a lot more $$$ into them to perform like a stock big block IMHO.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Build the 400 and use a set of longer 5.7 inch 350 rods. 400s are good engines, they just need a good 4 core rad to cool. 400s can easily make wicked torque and will help keep the weight down as compared to a big block.

11. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guy's! I think I am going to stick with the 400 SB.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run the 400....

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what did they do to the BBC to make it lose?
    big inches always win doesn't matter if you get them by bore or stroke

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for all the help guy's! I think I am going to stick with the 400 SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Best of both worlds.

15. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

You could stroke the 400 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Only problem is its an expensive motor. But the 400 with good heads,intake, and exhuast with a matching cam will have good power.

Later

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

When I sawapped in a stock 400 small block from a 78 suburban into my 74 K20 in place of the stock 454 from a 74 chevelle that was making scary noises(turned out to be broken piston skirts,and loose wrist pins)--I noticed very little if any real difference in power,and the front of the truck felt noticeably lighter--granted the 454 I removed had seen better days,but it ran pretty good--the 400 was stuffed in quite hastily--I didnt even put a timing chain or oil pump in it(I wish I did now)but it still runs fairly well,but its due for a rebuild too.I think the 400 is the only small block that can stand ground against a big block,a 400 or a 454 are the kings of tourque in a GM truck,unless you swap a Caddy motor into it.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif