Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ENGINE CLEANER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Aug 30, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what is the best thing to use to clean a engine? Somthing that wont messup(including paint) anything up or dry out gaskets

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Engine cleaner /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I think there's a line out called Engine Brite that works fairly well.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how tough is it though haha..mines never been cleaned since 85.. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never found anything that works better than Gunk Engine Brite Heavy Duty Engine Degreaser for getting off the really nasty stuff. The only downside is that your truck will smell like the engine cleaner for about a week. It's pretty smelly stuff, but it really gets the job done!

For light duty cleanings, Gunk Foaming Engine Brite works very well. It isn't as good on really grimy build-up, but it also doesn't stink nearly as much. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Oh, the best thing is that either one is only something like $1.37 per can at Walmart. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oven cleaner works real good also. It was the only thing that I could find that cleaned up my tranny.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

dosent oven cleaner strip paint?

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure when you spray down the engine you either cover your distributor or keep the water away from it. Cool water on a hot dist. cap can cause it to crack. Ask me how I know...... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea thats something i was wondering about ...how do you go about applying the cleaner to clean it?

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

It usually comes in an aerosol can.
    Wisk laundry detergent, wire brush, and a steam cleaner work great, just be sure you cover everything that doesn't like water.

10. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

how do you know? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jacob

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

don't you just hate it when those people that pad posts. ya know what i mean. i mean geez are they THAT bored. *coughyescough*. lol. later.

jacob

12. Can Can

With your engine cold, spray the block and anyhting else dirty in the engine bay with a good coat of the engine cleaner. The foamy kind works best because it actually clings to the grime. Like I said before, stay away from the dist. cap and the if you have an open air filter setup, don't spray that either.

STart your rig up and drive her down to the closest DIY car wash(or if you have a pressure washer drive around the block a couple of times to get the engine warm). The key here is to let the engine get warm but not hot. The heat helps the cleaner work but spraying down a HOT motor can cause trouble.

Now spray the heck out of your engine bay!!!! I would recommend leaving the engine running(no real reason for it but that's what I do /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ).

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok thanx! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah well, if you were to listen to a buddy of mine.....
    He says that the best way to clean your valves off is to pour a teaspoon of water down your carb /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif, the shock is supposed to clean any carbon buildup off.
    Sounds like a good way to bend or break something to me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. Can Can

Lots of guys use that trick. But I think this post is about cleaning off the OUTSIDE of the engine......

Another method of removing carbon buildup from the motor is to slowly suck some ATF into the combustion chamber using your PCV valve.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I cant find the GUNK foming engine brite all I can find is the heavy duty stuff BTW this stuff wont dry out gaskets or hurt any thing else right?

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I get it at Walmart here. I haven't really looked for it anywhere else. I've been using the heavy duty stuff for over 20 years without any problems. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif