Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine coding help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a long block gm 350. Was told it had TBI ontop of it. I did some searches and figured out where to search for the #'s on the block, but not sure if i found what im looking for...

The block is painted so its hard to tell on some places-

Front pass. side infront of head...Couldnt find any #'s..
    Front Drivers under head- 638
    Drivers side behind head- GM 5.7L SGI
    Pass. behind head- 14093638
    Rear behind distributor almost- K223

Any help???

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

14093638 might tell you the approximate year range, and since you know it's a 5.7L block, that MIGHT be all you need to figure what year it was.

I use nastyz28.com for decoding info, although it's changed a bit and harder to find now, the data is still there.

Application is probably not going to be known, since the Suffix code is the only one that tells you that. Sounds like the block has been decked (rebuilt) and that wiped the numbers off. You can try scraping the paint off if it's really thick, but an average coat of paint I'd imagine they'd still be somewhat visible.

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

14093638 is the block casting #. Pass side rear pad is the appropriate place of the casting #. Good block, make it a full roller 383.

14093638...350...87-95...2 or 4...Roller or flat tappet cam, one-piece rear seal