Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine compartment of Daily driver with electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Sep 7, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just sharing some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the cleanest but it is daily driven. to bad the radiator has a pin hole. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats a sweet looking engine compartment! Wish mine was filled with that!

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've learned that you can turn off the fans so your fans don't splatter mud all over inside your engine compartment but that doesn't mean the crank pulley won't take over the fan's responsibility. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You think those two fans will pull enough air? I have a 7 blade mech fan and I was going to add some electrics to that for the trail but do you really think that's enough?

5. cybrfire

Well, I can say that the temp stays at about 210 in town so I think it's okay. Seems on the highway the air is deadended a little and it gets warmer. Also there is a pinhole like I said so really hard to say what is going on for sure. I have recently acquired another rad so we will see if that fixes it. They really move quite a bit of air though. I would have to say more than the factory fan did. I still haven't gotten a thermostatic switch to operate them. So far they are hooked up to a toggle. That will soon change.

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

did my radiator have a hole in it?

7. cybrfire

no, I was afraid you would read that and jump in there. Yours was good to go. This is a different rad. By the way it was good doing buis with you.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats a bad ass set up, what are the fans from or are they after market? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems on the highway the air is deadended a little and it gets warmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to "skeletonize" that shroud, and make sure your fans are off when moving. You are blocking airflow over what looks like half that radiator, and that is EXTREMELY important when the vehicle is moving over about 25MPH.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You need to "skeletonize" that shroud

IIRC I saw some rubber flaps on a VW(?) covering holes in the shroud. At highway speed the air blows through the radiator and shroud flaps. When the fan kicks on the suction keeps the flaps closed and draws air through the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also I hope you're using a relay with that fan. In my youth I bypassed a broken temp switch on a Saab 99. It worked great for a while.... then smoke rolled out from under the dash as all the insulation from the wire melted off /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. cybrfire

They are take offs from the place I work at. Thanks for the compliments.

12. cybrfire

I was trying to figure out just how to cut holes in the shroud without getting the fans sucking air from the wrong place. Actually the whole radiator is covered by the shroud. I might just try the rubber flap idea if the bigger rad doesn't clear things up. Ya, I have a seperate relay on each fan. Thanks for the idea.

13. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Looks good, Kert. Love aluminum diamong plate.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was trying to figure out just how to cut holes in the shroud without getting the fans sucking air from the wrong place.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as those fans are mounted as close to the radiator as possible, that isn't an issue. Those fans already have an integral "shroud", anything outside of that isn't helping matters. If your fans lacked that outer "piece" that contains the blades, you'd need an additional shroud to keep air flowing through the radiator. With a shroud, you just need the fans against the radiator to make sure all the air they are pulling is from in front of the radiator, not behind it.

No reason to run the radiator surface area restricted unless its so cold out the coolant won't come up to temp.