Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine condition, what to check

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Jun 5, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Got a 400 for the Blazer and was wondering what I should check to make sure its all good to go. Was told it had a recent rebuild but has sat for a few months. Anything I should rebuild/replace before I put it in? Gaskets, Carb, etc.? Hoses and vacuum lines are a for sure, doing those right now, and of course new paint. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Would hate to install it and have it grenade as I pull it out of the garage!! Thanks for the help!! Sam

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

new valve cover gaskets, they are probably dried out by now and will leak oil everywhere. make sure you have the right flywheel also there is more than one type for each size engine or i guess you could change starters. there are other things too, but i'll let the more experienced speak up, i have only swapped one motor before.

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can run a compression check on it. That'll check the rings.

Change the valve cover gaskets, timeing cover gasket, oil pan gasket....all the gaskets on the outside of the motor (don't change the head gasket unless you have to).

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

make sure you have the correct harmonic balancer for the 400 (i'm assuming it came with the motor?). i'm pretty sure the flex plate is the same (if your old motor is a 2 piece rear main seal), so the starter would work as well. i'm not sure about the gaskets or not, but to be safe i'd at least have a look. i'd also prime the motor prior to starting it up and take it easy. did you get a complete motor with intake manifold and all?? depending on the bolt pattern of intake to heads, i'd say everything would/should work (minus the harmonic balancer). however you might have to step up to a bigger carb. or re-jet it for the bigger motor.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Actually the 400 small blocks used a counter balanced flex plate as well as the balancer. Like they said, a compression test is a good indicator of condition, and gaskets are always good insurance.

Mike

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the help fellas!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif BTW the motor came complete with everything. Bought it from K5er Butch who pulled it from his 1ton parts truck. Everything is there including a TH400 bolted to it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Onlything missing is the power steering pump. Thats ok cause I have to use my diesel pump anyway for the brakes. Again thanks for the help!!, Sam