Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Control Module

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, May 3, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I finally got time to install my tranny temp gauge in the dash of my 1988 Suburban. I noticed under the steering column a little box, it has cooling fins on it and I wonder what it is. It looks like it has been messed with before because it mounts to a clip like thing and the plastic on the box is broken for the mount.

I tried to find out what it is in the chilton manual and it just does not have enough detail, sounds like it might be the Engine Control Module ???

Anyway, now I am a little worried because the chiltons manual says not to restore the power to the module when the ignition switch is on because it can cause severe damage to the module. Well I had the switch on because I needed to move the auto trans shifter to get room to reinstall the dash. I forgot to turn it off when I reconnectd the negative battery cable.

I wonder where the ECM is, is it the box under the dash ??? How can I tell if the ECM is damaged now ????

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The ECM is usually on the passenger side, near the heater box, behind the glove box. I'm not sure what that thing is you're describing, but it's not the ECM. The ECM is a metal box with two large pluge coming out the side with a small screw on access panel on it.

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree. Whatever you're looking at is not the ECM. The ECM is located almost directly behind and above the glove box, with tons of wires coming out of it, in two plugs. No clue as to what you're looking at.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that little box is the timer module for the delay wiper settings. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You'll usually know right away if you've damaged your ECM. The engine won't start. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

HarryH3 is correct, the wiper delay box is the only thing that you'll find with the exposed heat sink. Only other
    "box" you'll find on that side of the truck is the cruise module AFAIK, and thats bolted to the brake pedal assembly or firewall.