Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Control Switch problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I've been working on my 74 K5 (not the K5 in my sig) lately and need some help.

It's not starting from the key. I can get down there with a screwdriver and jump the terminals on the soleniod and it starts "fine" (I need to work on the carb, but that's another story/problem). I traced the (always elusive /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) purple wire from the ignition terminal on the soleniod all the way up through the fuse block grommet and up to a terminal on top of the steering column underneath the dash.

When I turn the key forward, there's no voltage at that terminal where the purple wire plugs in. From what I've seen, I should get the 12.x volts at that point when I turn the key to start. I'm getting 12.x volts at the right places when the key's in the on position.

So what do I have to replace and how? Is it something in the steering column or is it the actual silver part where the key goes?

Thanks.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The silver part where the key goes is the lock cylinder (non-
    electrical). On the steering colum tube under the dash is the
    ignition switch. It's white plastic and should have a rod coming
    down from the lock cyl. Also check the neutral saftey switch.
    Jim

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jim,

My purple wire I unplugged was part of a plug with about 5 total wires. I also unplugged another plug right next to it with about 4 wires in it. Was the white plastic piece I unplugged those FROM, the ignition switch? It sits on top of the column, between the dash and brake assembly. I didn't notice a rod, but it's pretty tight up there.

Is the switch screwed down to the column or attached some other way?

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

OK, after reading some old posts, I wanted to add something.

There is a second "harness" at the bottom (floor/firewall) of the column with 5 terminals. One set is a junction in the purple ignition wire (one wire goes up the column, one wire goes out the firewall). Another set is a set of green wires (didn't trace those). The last one is bare (has no plug on it). It gets 12.x volts when the ignition is in the on position. Is this the neutral safety switch and/or should something be plugged into that terminal?

Thanks!!