Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ENGINE CRATE SIZE?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Feb 19, 2002.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I found the engine that I want now, but I need to get it to my buddies shop 4 hours away to get it installed. Will the crate fit in the back of the blazer if I take out the seat? Also I need to know if the engine is too heavy for the axles, they're stock. Any info is appreciated!! Thanks a bunch.

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

as far as i know you should be able to fit it in, might have to take it our of the crate.
    you have a half ton rig. does the engine weigh 1000 lbs? you can even go to 1500 if you need, but i wouldnt.
    1000lbs is what you are rated to cary. but it weighs down your rig. i would just take the motor out and secure it down with straps an all.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Depends on the crate. I bought a GM crate engine not too long ago. A GM Crate 350 weighs in at 450 pounds or so empty. Mine fit in the back of my rig in the crate with the rear seat folded up with PLENTY of room to spare. Even loaded in an engine hoist and stand and other peripherals with it. Hardest part is going to be getting it into the back!

I definitely would not remove it from the crate. When I transported mine the second time, I had the upper structure of the crate removed, but still used the base. The base will secure it and keep it from tipping over. You don't want an engine rolling around breaking things on it as well as giving you un-dents!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!