Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ENGINE CROSSMEMBER DONE! SEPT 28th woohoo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Sep 17, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

(updates down the page)

For all those that have done the swap and have crossover did you change or modify the engine crossmember any to fit the crossover steering or are you using the bent drag link?

I was planning on making a boxed engine crossmeber but at this point I'm thinking about just slapping all the parts together to do my body swap onto the new frame, wonding if I should do the crossmember or not. I have crossover parts with a straight draglink to install but I need to order my bushings and get my passenger side knuckle done in order to get a good mock up.

as always, pics would be good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: people with the 52\'s up front, question about crossover and engine xmember

I use a bent drag link. There are a couple pics in my gallery but nothing that shows the drag link. It's a dark color so it doesn't show up all that well.

3. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Keep the boomerrang steering arm. It's way stronger, more relieable and you can find parts in anytown USA and Autozone!

But really, I've seen more failures when people convert to COS. Boxes loosening up, frames breaking, front shackles bending and broke end links if not using TRE's.

Get it together and try it out. Use a steering block or raised arm or offset draglink to get you going.....Good luck

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

How is COS more problematic? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    I could not imagine what all i would need to scab together to get enough travel in a stock style sttering set up to get mine to steer. crossover is the only way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

I went the Bent draglink route, Sky sold it to me for $65, so I was all over that like MJ on a 10 year old.

Oh, and that would be "michael jackson" I'm not sure, or care to see what our resident mj is up to in HIS spare time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ford and Jeep seem to be fine with crossover... and Ford had some mighty girly looking knuckles.

The only thing I'd worry about is the frame.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    How is COS more problematic? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    I could not imagine what all i would need to scab together to get enough travel in a stock style sttering set up to get mine to steer. crossover is the only way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. There isn't anyway to get factory chevy steering to accomadate any type of articulation let alone much lift to begin with. However, the frame is the problem. Even in the factory configuration the frame gets worked back and forth till it cracks and a good part of this force is applied front to back which is the way the frame was intended to handle it. When you go crossover it's just the opposite. Most of the forces is applied side to side or across the frame with a rotational twist on that section of frame which is exactly the way it can't take it. So while crossover alleviates the problems with geometry in the steering it creates problems for the frame. So of course adequate bracing fixes this problem or hydro assist also removes a great deal of stress on the frame. But, all told you are right. Crossover is the only way to go. At least you can steer and beef up that area of frame to handle the abuse. Just an FYI for anybody reading.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep the boomerrang steering arm. It's way stronger, more relieable and you can find parts in anytown USA and Autozone!

But really, I've seen more failures when people convert to COS. Boxes loosening up, frames breaking, front shackles bending and broke end links if not using TRE's.

Get it together and try it out. Use a steering block or raised arm or offset draglink to get you going.....Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif AHHH not this time, the drag link would be about 4" long seeing as how 52's move the front axle forward 3"... PLUS there is a TON of steering bump with the raised arm (I hate the DD steering since I put the raised arm on).

What I'm planning on is setting up the project truck with crossover on the 10bolt and when I get a D60 to put in I'll swap my 10bolt with crossover over to the DD.

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Ford and Jeep seem to be fine with crossover... and Ford had some mighty girly looking knuckles.

The only thing I'd worry about is the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

New (2000ish) Dodge Rams use crossover also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

New (2000ish) Dodge Rams use crossover also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they used clusterf' ish steering with a bunch of crazy links (engineered slop, just like Furd TTB)?

Must be something new, eh? Both my neighbors have like a 98 or 99 1/2 ton and the other a 2000 1/2 ton.

11. jjlaughner

dodge steering

whatever you call this /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Guess I should have said a "type" of crossover /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, frame is no problem... add a bolt on brace and a weld on brace and then run hydro assist. All is good. If it gives you any grief after those mods, go full hydro... then I guarentee you wont have a frame crack problem... due to steering anyway. lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: people with the 52\'s up front, question about crossover and engine xmem

Having the axle moved foward takes it away from the x-member. It is kinda a self solving issue. I run a bent link just for the angle issues on the DLE's but that is just me. The pic above would be a great way to accomadate the 52's and hi-steer with no extra binding.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only reason you say this is that your rig doesn't really have much flex to speak of. Once you soften up that front suspension, trust me, YOU'LL HATE not being able to steer.

If I had it to do all over again I would have gone full hydr. I could have done it for $100 or less. My friend has all used parts and did his for about $50.

There is no reason for a high dollar orbital valve if you're talking trail use only. He made his own reservoir, welded a washer to the top of the stock steering pump, then welded in a fitting, and ran hydro hoses to it, the valve, and ram, and was done. 2 gallons or so of capacity, nice cool fluid all the time, and fully hydralic steering off a forklift that works great.

I have crossover/hydro, but if my frame pisses me off or I find a cheap orbital valve, my crossover will be for sale.

Too bad I spent $320 on a setup I used for one trail run and then bought a trailer.

I'm liking my crossover/hydro so far though, it just costs more than full hydro for offroad use only.

15. jjlaughner

Re: people with the 52\'s up front, question about crossover and engine xmem

[ QUOTE ]
    Having the axle moved foward takes it away from the x-member. It is kinda a self solving issue. I run a bent link just for the angle issues on the DLE's but that is just me. The pic above would be a great way to accomadate the 52's and hi-steer with no extra binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The straight draglink I'm getting is setup with TRE's

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

If I had it to do all over again I would have gone full hydr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I'm getting a crossover setup, buddy is going full hydro with used parts he got free, so I'm getting his passengers side arm, draglink with TRE's and pitman arm in trade for 14bolt 4.56's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. jjlaughner

tomorrow I'm mocking up a new engine crossmember with 6x2x3/16 tube

need some idea for bracing the steering box though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. jjlaughner

Re: question about crossover and engine xmember with 52\'s, started new xmember

Started mocking up my crossmember
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transfered the design to a piece of 6"x2"x3/16" tube
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to find a plasma cutter, I dont know if I cut this cleanly with my torch and there's not really enough room to use the sawsall /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm going to weld in 1/4" plate to seal off the tube, it will use both motor mount bolts and bolt to the bottom of the frame in the stock locations.

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Lay a straight edge on there. If you have a nice guide you'd be surprised at how nicely a torch will zip that out of there.

20. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I thought about that withthe plasma cutter but I didn't think about that with a torch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif