Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine crossmember HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jul 10, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Sorry, I know this is not the correct forum but I'd like this to be seen by the largest audience possible.

I'm seaching for the engine crossmember from a truck that had a 292 6cyl. A friend is putting a 292 into an CUCV frame but he needs a different crossmember. The crossmember for a 250 6cyl and a V8 (diesel included) is different from a 292 part. We tried GM but it has long since been discontinued.

Does anyone have one? I'm sure one from a 73 to 80 frame would also work. Any / all help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you need to worry about the crossmember.

I think your problem lies in the two steel mounts on each side of the frame rails. The part where the rubber motor mount sits and bolts onto.

These steel mounts have been known to be different for different engine variations.

If you guys are installing a I-6 into a CUCV, you need to find the steel mounts off the frame and bolt them into the CUCV frame rails. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That makes sense, we new something was different because the motor mount bosses on the block are in slightly different positions (than v8's, etc). If I can find someone with the parts I'll try to get all of it just to be sure we don't come up short at some point. Unfortunately, we can't find a donor truck for any of these parts, that's why I was hoping someone here might have the stuff.