Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine crossmember weight (for shipping cost)?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jan 26, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my 1982 k5's crossmember under the engine is cracked. big shock. anyone know the weight of both the pre-85 and 85+ versions? i'd like to stick the newer one on, since it's supposed to be better and direct bolt-on (or close to it?).

haven't had much luck at the salvage yards. time and weather haven't allowed many trips. the older crossmembers i have found are damaged, like mine, and the newer versions get snatched up:doah:. so, i've turned to ebay. i didn't feel like laying in 33 degree mud puddle, anyway. call me lazy. but, if that thing is as heavy as it looks, it may not be worth the shipping cost.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The ORD replacement doesn't cost much to ship and is very nice. Trying to remove the original is a PITA without cutting it apart. Where in Tx are you? If you want to pull my old crossmember off of mine, you can have it. It's on a lift right now in a heated garage. I'm replacing it with the ORD one, but I had planned to just cut it in half, or thirds, to remove it. The truck is a few miles East of Mckinney right now.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

thanks for the offer. i may take you up on that. i'm not incredibly far from you. i work in irving, live in north richland hills.

the ord member does look nice. i considered it when i first found the crack, but the price didn't fit well with my "budget rig". maybe someday. i really wanted to replace the member when i had the old engine out, but i needed to install the new engine in hurry and didn't find another member in time. so, i ghetto-braced the old one and kept my fingers crossed. i'll have to do some calculations, but i think free is a better deal than 190 bucks :laugh:. is the engine still in your truck? if not, the job might not be horrible. i'll just cut some huge chunks out of your frame with my reciprocating saw. nice and simple. :hack: how's that for showing appreciation? ha.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The motor is still in my truck, as well as everything else. The crossmember is coming out Sunday. If you would like to come over and remove it yourself, you can have it. If I take it out it will come out in 3 pieces because it is such a whore of a job. Come to think of it, I don't think it can be removed with the motor in the truck. I hope someone else chimes in on that.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Well, last night I could not see any way to get the crossmember out, with the engine in, so I went ahead and cut it out. I will tell you, the ORD cmember is very nice and tucks out of the way.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

hey, that's cool with me. i appreciate the intitial offer, anyway. i took a good look at mine, this afternoon. i think pulling it with the engine in place is possible, but still more of a PITA than it's really worth.

good luck with the ORD member. maybe i'll stop being cheap for five seconds and go the same way.