Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Deals

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Sep 3, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a 400 small block for a good price. I cant figure out whats wrong with my 350 its a dog on power and I already replaced so many things
    It was running great for like 5 min after I changed the fuel pump no dirt or anything no clogs. any one know where i can get a deal in Socal or on the net I can put the motor in myself. will the distributor from my 350 work with the 400 and the manifold too?

I replaced:
    TH-350
    Distributor Cap\Rotor\Coil
    Wires\Plugs
    Fuel Pump
    Vacuum Lines
    Brakes\Drums
    Tranny lines
    and other stuff im tired of this :doah:

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Maybe we can help cure the 350's lack of power.........
    let's start from the beginning.

Or contact Jim at http://www.larrysperformance.com
    in Montebello,Ca.

And yes, everything off the 350 will fit the 400, except the reciprocating assembly,
    I would not use 400 heads on a 350 either because of the steam holes.

400's are very rare and were prone to overheating with their siamesed cylinder bores and lack of a water jacket between the cylinders, the 400 will not rev as high as the 350 because it has a shorter rod ratio but makes more torque with it's 1/4" longer stroke and .125" larger bore.

I believe the 400's make great truck engines when setup correctly and not pushed beyond their limits.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too bad..

I have a 400 small block for sale--from a 78 suburban,I had it in my 74 K20 for 8 years..best offer I got for it was 200 bucks for it and a continental industrial motor I have ...I didn't sell them yet,because I havent really advertised either of them other than here on CK5's "parts" colum..

I feel the 400 is worth 200 at least by itself--it needs rebuilding,but it runs,and drove my truck no problem,its just high milage and has not been apart once as far as I know--I threw it in my truck in a hurry,didn't change the timing chain or anything!..it smokes on startup.and has a bit of end play in the crank,but it never knocked.. Do you guys think I'm asking too much??--the guy who offered 200 for both mentioned the 400's are so rare they bring 500 or more!--mine has a 625cfm Carter carb..

My friend sold a freshly rebuilt one two weeks ago for 1000 bucks! :doah: --since I'm out of work I need cash--naturally I want as much as I can get,but what is a reasonable price?..I could get top dollar at upcoming swap meets in CT--but it costs so much for gas and a space there,its not really worth it to me to bring it there...too bad your 3000 miles away! :doah: :crazy:

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i might be interested in you 400, ive been looking for one of a while, 200 dosnt sound bad at all

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Let me Know....

If your seriously interested,send me a PM!--I have to move it soon,its outside since I pulled it (under cover of course)--but I dont really need it cluttering up my shop,and I'd rather not stash it in my shed,where it will be "snowed in" all winter..(its 100ft in the backyard,and inaccessable once it snows!)..I would like to sell it soon,have bills that need to be payed by the 15th! :(.. :crazy: