Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine decision bb caddy or bb chevy????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Sep 29, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im looking to put either a 500 ci caddy or a 454 or 502 chevy in my truck. What do yall think I should use and why? I like the chevy engines because parts are pretty cheap, but Ive heard the the 500 caddy is a torque monster. How much more do caddy parts cost?

LMK
    Nick

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: engine decision

(IMHO) I wouldn't get a 502 because they are so expensive and you could make plenty of power from your other 2 choices. I personally like 454's, they are pretty cheap and easy to find with plenty of aftermarket parts available. With the cadi 500 I think the Bop or bot(something like that )tranny has to be used because of the bellhousing pattern. A 4wd rear shaft then has to be installed in the cadi tranny to make it work with a t-case. Lots of parts are available for the cadi motor but I far as I know they cost more. Lots of torque can be had with all 3 motors. If you are set on stump pulling power I would go with a stroker 454 or 496 which should make more torque than the other 2. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

454-Stroke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well im building a MPFI 496 (just uploaded more pics of the hoss below(7 pics total)) and ive come to the realization I could have bought a damn 502 for the money i have in this thing. Of course it does have roller rocker, hydraulic roller cam, edelbrock MPFI, but i would be damn close AND have a warranty to boot. Of course desktop dyno says 500hp, close to 600tq (cant remember exact number but it was like 590 or so), 502's dont make that. Its got a forged steel crank and all that good crap, just expensive. I payed for a Ramjet, but got a 15yr old block lol.

5. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

If you find a cheap rolling chasis the 500 caddy is not a bad option. It has an amazing amount of grunt right from the get go. Aftermarket components are a little expensive and hard to find but using a stocker is cheap and easy torque.

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status