Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine delima

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neko H, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

Hey Folks:

Here is my problem got a 79 Jimmy w/ a 400 SB that is going to need a bebuild. I'm short on time so I priced around for local mechanics they are saying $2,500 (I think I went into the wrong career). Found a place in Dallas "Power Pro" that sell a remanufactured (not bebuilt) Long Block for $1,250 and this includes freight. Comes with a 5 yr 100K warranty. So I'm thinking of going this route thereby saving some time and some money.

Now the delima, I have heard that you can pick up a 350 crate around here for little over $1,000 (lacking the intake everything else perrty much included). Saving even a little more cash (not much but some). I know the 400 is externaly balanced and the 350 internaly balanced and would require changing the fly-wheel if I do the swap. If I go to the 350 I will lose about 20 HP. Is there anything else that I would need to look out for in a swap.

I have yet to determine for sure I'm going to swap so insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

20 hp? Dont base your decision on 20 hp. Making up 20 hp in a 350 is as easy as changing the make of intake manifold, adding headers, or eaven your air cleaner choice....the list can go on and on.
    I think whoever told you $2500 for a rebuild on a 400sb is trying to take you for a ride, no matter what part of the country you are in.

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

400 dont cost any more to rebuild than any other small block. But the cranck is hard to find so the rebuiled shop charge more for 400 long or short blocks. If you have the one you have rebuilt it will be much cheaper!!! As for the loss of 20 HP I think you will see a big change is the tork curve and low end tork, the 400 have more.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you need to change the flywheel and harmonic balancer from the 400. You could make a 377 from the 400 block and a 350 crank (go steel) or a 383-350 block and 400 crank. 383 is very torquey and the 377 is very .......horsey? Try pep boys, I bought a rebuilt 350 4 bolt long block from them, with an unlimited mile, 1 year warranty for $699. I've been beating it for years now and it keeps on going.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I bought a 350 from a local engine shop for 1200$ it is boared .40 over with an edelbrock intake and Quadrabog. I used a bigger cam and Rhoades lifters..with stock exhaust manifolds it pumps out 270-300hp Also dont forget about the R&P ratio if you change this it will give much more off the line power..or you could install nitrous..hehe