Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Diagnosing Folks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Dec 19, 2001.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Got a little problem with the wife's Saturn. Its burned oil for a while and recently we let it get low. The valves have tapped for quite some time, but now there is a much louder noise that I initially thought was a rod knocking, but as I listen more closely it sounds as though it could also be coming from the valve train.

Can anyone tell me how to diagnose more certainly? Do those auto stethoscopes work well?

Sorry, I know this is off topic.

John

2. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe a seized or stuck lifter - I am not too familiar with Saturn engines but I think they have Overhead Cam.....which if that is true would mean it does not have lifters. So.......a valve could be stuck and the clicking sound could be the rocker arm striking the valve stem. Lack of oil casued the same thing in my 280ZX. If the valve is stuck in the closed position you are OK, if it is in the open position then you may have a problem. Some vehicles have "non interfering" valves which means that the valve will not strike (interfere) with the top of the piston. If your are "interfering" then the top of the piston can strike the open valve which would then bend the valve and cause major problems. This problem with interfering valves is usually only a problem when a timing belt brakes. But can also be a problem when a valve seizes.

My $.02

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

the auto stethescopes work ok ive also heard of using a stick (put it from your ear to where you thing the problem is)

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!