Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine dies, then won't restart -- Fixed!! Thanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Jan 14, 2006.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Hi just got towed home on this one.

Here is the deal out shopping with the Wife and kid in the 91 sub.
    Leave Wallys, truck is cool been there for 1 and some change.
    Drive 3 miles to another store and work our way thur parking lot to door.
    Have to stop for traffic to clear and engine dies!
    Won't restart! Cranks fine but no firing. Get help pushing Sub out of way.
    I pop hood look around, don't see anything loose. Pull air cleaner and worked throttle white steam comes up from the intake. Have wife turn over engine not start but notice there is fuel coming from injectors.
    try agian and engine starts. I let it idle and after 5 minutes it dies. So I let it sit for 30 minutes and when we try to go no start.
    I pop hood look around nothing then all of a sudden it fires!
    We take off and get 4 blocks it dies going up a hill. We sit again for 3 minutes and I pull the air cleaner off wife starts the truck right up. So we take off without the air cleaner get 4 blocks again and dies.
    No start nothing, cranks but no fire? We call friends to take wife and baby home. I stay and 15 minutes later it fires up I let it idle for 10 minutes and turn it off, starts right back up I try this againg and starts right back up so I take off and drive 10 blocks and it dies righ after the crest of a steep hill but this time it chuggs and bucks like it is running out of fuel.
    Coast to a stop on flat ground and it still cranks great but no fire. Wife tows the Sub home with the F350.
    Tomorrow I will check fuel pressure and pull a couple plugs to see if they tell me anything.
    This summer 2005 I put in a new fuel pump and ignition module, distributor cap and rotor.
    This fall 2005 I installed an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, set at 12.5 to 13 PSI and an overbored TBI. I used all new gaskets and orings when doing this, even another new fuel filter. Recently I had to put in a new battery as the old one died. The only other thing we noticed is there were 2 or 3 tanks of fuel that the truck stumbled a little when using light throttle but fuel injector cleaner fixed that each time.

Where do you suggest I look first
    Thanks
    Tim

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My first guess would have been ignition module, just because you recently changed it doesn't mean it isn't bad again, my next choice would be ignition coil. I'll bet one of the two items fix it.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My guesses..

I'd guess the module first..seen many "new" ones with a very short life..also it might be the pick up coil in the distributor..seen them act up intermittently,and not always does it act the same each time it stalls or acts up,like yours is doing..

Ignition coil is a possibility,quits when it gets hot..also check the 12v power to the HEI ,be sure the wire isn't shorted (insulaton rubbed thru somewhere)..or poor connections and corrosion..I've seen the wires from the cap,that go thru the base of the distributor get stretched and pull apart inside under the insulation,and they only disconnect once in a while..they rub thru and ground out on the distributor body sometimes too.
    Saw one truck with a bad tachometer that caused it to stall and act up sometimes too..weird..:crazy:

4. diesel4me

My guesses..

I'd guess the module first..seen many "new" ones with a very short life..also it might be the pick up coil in the distributor..seen them act up intermittently,and not always does it act the same each time it stalls or acts up,like yours is doing..

Ignition coil is a possibility,quits when it gets hot..also check the 12v power to the HEI ,be sure the wire isn't shorted (insulaton rubbed thru somewhere)..or poor connections and corrosion..I've seen the wires from the cap,that go thru the base of the distributor get stretched and pull apart inside under the insulation,and they only disconnect once in a while..they rub thru and ground out on the distributor body sometimes too.
    Saw one truck with a bad tachometer that caused it to stall and act up sometimes too..weird..:crazy:

5. diesel4me

My guesses..

6. diesel4me

My guesses..

7. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. This morning it started up with no problems. I am going to try the coil as it is the factory original. Then I will try the ignition module next, it was one of the higher output ones from Accel.
    Next I will probalby try the EGR as it is one of those aftermarket ones from Advance Auto and I have heard they are not the best that you really need the GM replacements.

Tim

Thanks Tim

8. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

you did remember the heat sink compound between the module and dist. body, right? check for loose wires and bad connections. those're my only thoughts on this.

9. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Yes I did use that compound.

Tim

10. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Well I swapped out the coil and it started right up idled for 3 minutes and died. Checked and had gas coming from the injecters. So I pulled a spark plug and pulled the injector connetors off. Cranked the engine over and no spark so I will pick up an ignition module tonight.

The one I have is an accel who makes the better ones?

GM is not open anymore and won't be tomorrow. So I can go to NAPA, Advance Auto, Checker, Auto Zone and Pep Boys.

Tim

11. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

dude mines doing the same thing right now

12. diesel4me

GM is best...

I have had the best luck with AC-Delco modules..I've had other brands fail after a short time,or go suddenly for no apparent reason.,especially the "cheapie" bargain brands...I get most of them from cars that my friend are scrapping...at least I knew they were "proven",being out of a running vehicle..or new from a GM dealer or parts store that carries the AC-Delco line..

Some of the cheap modules dont have all the curcitry inside like an OEM one..many lack the "dwell advance" curcuit,and it costs you in lost power and MPG...

I dont know why my last post printed 4 times!:eek1: ...it was early this morning..AOL must have had a hemmorage or something..my computer froze up,I got a "timed out" error message..when I finally got it to "refresh",I see 4 posts came out!...weird!..:screwy: ..

13. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Do your self a favor and spend a little more $$$ and get the OEM AC-Delco modules. I went through two aftermarket modules with in two years before I got smart and paid a lil more $$$ for OEM anf 4 years later no problems.

Just my 2 cents

Dan..

14. diesel4me

Agreed..

I had more than one vehicle with one of those Accel "super duper" ignition modules that were a POS ..car would never fail to start,but would sputter and hesitate under acceleration,and idle poorly,like it had a bad cam lobe...just misery to drive in general..I put a used OEM Delco module in it,and it was like night and day..

Accel also makes a GM HEI module that looks like a printed curcuit board out of a computer or radio..my friend tried one in his 62 Nova with a built 350,and HEI..it ran like dogcrap too,and it wasn't until he bought a "racing" distrubutor with NO vacuum advance,and found that ran lousy on the street also, that he finally gave up and threw in one of my old 305 HEI's I saved,and found the motor would now smoke the tires in SECOND gear as well as first!...never got more than a squeak in second with all the "high performance" crap he piled on it!...:p:

Despite "Jegs" catalog saying it was compatible with "all 4 prong GM distributors",a local speed shop clerk who knows his stuff claims they are only intended for Accel "race"distributors!..he claims a GM pick up coil is not the correct "ohms" resistance..I'd say he's right,or that module was defective,judging how the Nova ran after we ditched it..

I don't think MSD,Accel,Jacobs,etc,is really the hot setup on street driven vehicles..if something fails out on the road,I think your chances of finding a new cap,rotor,module,or Ignition box is a lot slimmer than stock GM parts..and in my experience the don't really make the vehicle run all that much better..many times its WORSE!...:crazy:

15. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Great thanks for the replies guys. Looks like one of the Advance Autos has an AC Delco in stock for 64.94. Where as the Wells, GP Sorenson, and whatever brand Napa sells is in the 35.00 range. Checker has the Borg Warner NASCAR brand for 61.99 too.

So I will get the AC Delco if it is still in stock and put it in.
    I did just put in the Accel coil in today to try, I had on the shelf, are those flaky too?
    Anyway this could be the ESC too?

Tim

16. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

It is Fixed

I slapped in the AC Delco ignition module and it started right up.

I warmed it up and we have taken 2 trips in it. No issues she is running like a top.

No huge power difference like was noted by others.
    But the idle is now rock solid smooth again, and the throttle response seems to be better too.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, spot on this time.

Tim